Mets Sweep Doubleheader against Red Sox on Saturday, Improve to 7-2 at NBT Bank Stadium this Season
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Mets combined stellar pitching and timely hitting to sweep Saturday afternoon's doubleheader against the Pawtucket Red Sox. The Mets won game one, 5-2, and took game two, 3-2, in front of an energetic crowd of 4,347 at NBT Bank Stadium. Syracuse now holds a 7-2 record at home this season.
Syracuse (9-7) jumped out to a lead in the first inning in game one. Grégor Blanco led off with a single, moved to second on a groundout, and scored on Adeiny Hechavarría's RBI single for a 1-0 lead.
Pawtucket (7-8) took a 2-1 lead in the third, putting five straight runners on base. Mike Miller and Gorkys Hernandez singled, and Rusney Castillo walked to load the bases. Sam Travis then hit a two-run single to put the PawSox on top, 2-1.
The Mets quickly answered in the bottom of the third inning. Blanco walked with one out, and Todd Frazier, in his first game on rehab with Syracuse, hit an RBI double to left field to tie the game, 2-2. Hechavarría then singled home Frazier for his second RBI of the game and a 3-2 Syracuse lead.
In the fifth, the top of the order continued to produce. Blanco reached on an error on Jantzen Witte at third base. Blanco moved to third on a single by Frazier and scored on another Hechavarría RBI hit, this time a double to left. Two batters later, Danny Espinosa struck an RBI single up the middle to score Hechavarría for a 5-2 Mets lead.
In game two, the top of the Mets order again produced an early run. Carlos Gómez doubled to lead off the frame and moved to third on Espinosa's sacrifice bunt. Hechavarría then hit a ground ball to left side of the infield, Pawtucket tried to throw out Gómez at home but was unsuccessful, and Syracuse took a 1-0 lead.
In the fifth, Travis Taijeron added to the lead with his team-leading fifth home run of the season for a 2-0 lead.
The PawSox got on the board in the sixth. Jake Romanski and Cole Sturgeon both singled, putting runners on first and third. Miller then grounded into a force at second, scoring Romanski to cut the lead to one, 3-2.
The Mets answered right back though. Espinosa hit his first home run with Syracuse with a line-drive bullet off the right-field foul pole to extend the Syracuse lead to 3-1.
The PawSox got a run closer in the seventh. Castillo was hit by a pitch, took second on defensive indifference, and scored on Witte's RBI single to left field, cutting the score to 3-2. Syracuse reliever Tyler Bashlor struck out Josh Tobias to clinch the doubleheader sweep.
Syracuse's pitching was stellar throughout the afternoon. Corey Oswalt started the first game for the Mets, pitching a complete game with six strikeouts. In game two, starter Zach Lee allowed only one run in five and a third innings pitched with no walks given up and four strikeouts before Bashlor came in for the final five outs.
The Mets and Red Sox conclude their three-game series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. at NBT Bank Stadium.
Images from this story
Adeiny Hechavarría of the Syracuse Mets had three hits and four RBIs during Saturday's doubleheader
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Indians Clipped by Bats in 10 Innings, 3-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Pigs Take Another Series against Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Sweep Doubleheader against Stripers - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Swept in Twinbill at Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sims Strikes out 13 as Bats Win in Extras, 3-1 - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings Fall 13-8 to Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats tell the story in IronPigs win over Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Split Doubleheader with Tides on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Reyes Homers Again in Loss to Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Syracuse Sweeps Twin Bill Despite Two CGs for Pawtucket Starters - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-5) vs. Louisville Bats (7-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Sweep Doubleheader against Red Sox on Saturday, Improve to 7-2 at NBT Bank Stadium this Season - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Game Suspended - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rain Forces the Suspension of Saturday's Bisons/RailRiders Doubleheader at Sahlen Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (7-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-5) - Louisville Bats
- Tucker Recalled, Reynolds' Contract Selected by Pirates - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, DH (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.