Stripers Swept in Twinbill at Durham
DURHAM, N.C. - The Gwinnett Stripers (7-9) dropped both ends of a doubleheader in Durham, falling 11-2 and 3-2 to the Bulls (6-9) on Saturday night at Durham Bulls Athletic Park. Rafael Ortega, Adam Duvall, and Pedro Florimon all homered in the losses as Gwinnett's losing streak stretched to five games.
Game 1 Scoring Recap: Ortega (6) blasted his third leadoff home run of the season, taking Ryan Merritt deep to right field for a 1-0 Stripers lead in the first inning. Durham tied the game at 1-1 in the second on an RBI single by Nick Solak, then went ahead 2-1 in the fourth on an RBI double by Solak. Later in the fourth, Dashenko Ricardo (1) launched a three-run homer off Kolby Allard to make it 5-1. In the fifth, the Bulls added six runs on homers by Jake Smolinski (2), Jason Coats (1), and Andrew Velazquez (2) off Jason Creasy to break it open at 11-1. Duvall (1) lifted a solo homer to left off Andrew Kittredge in the sixth to make it 11-2.
Game 2 Scoring Recap: The Stripers grabbed a 1-0 lead in the second inning on Jack Lopez's two-out RBI single scoring Ryan LaMarre. Gwinnett raised the lead to 2-0 in the fifth as Florimon (1) lifted a solo home run to center off Mike Franco. Durham scored all three runs in the sixth off Corbin Clouse as Kean Wong hit a two-out, three-run double for a 3-2 Bulls lead.
Stripers Stats: Allard (L, 1-1) allowed five runs on seven hits over 4.0 innings in game one, walking three and striking out four. Elian Leyva and Ben Rowen combined on 5.0 scoreless innings in game two before Clouse (L, 0-1) yielded three runs over 0.2 innings. Ortega went 2-for-3 with a homer and one RBI in game one. Andres Blanco went 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles in game two.
Bulls Stats: Merritt (W, 1-1) got the game one win for Durham, yielding a run on five hits over 5.0 innings and striking out four. Hoby Milner (W, 1-0) pitched 1.2 scoreless innings in relief for the win in game two. Smolinksi and Ricardo each went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBIs in game one. Wong finished 1-for-3 with a double and three RBIs in game two.
Postgame Notes: Ortega is the first Gwinnett hitter with three leadoff homers in a season since Ozzie Albies had four in 2017. Duvall's game one homer extended his team-best on-base streak to 13 games, but he went 0-for-3 to snap the streak in game two. Gwinnett is now 2-5 in games decided by one run this season.
Next Game (Sunday, April 21): Gwinnett at Durham, 5:05 p.m. at Durham Bulls Athletic Park. RHP Mike Foltynewicz (1-1, 4.38 ERA) for the Stripers vs. TBD for the Bulls. Radio Broadcast: 4:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Indians Clipped by Bats in 10 Innings, 3-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Pigs Take Another Series against Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Sweep Doubleheader against Stripers - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Swept in Twinbill at Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sims Strikes out 13 as Bats Win in Extras, 3-1 - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings Fall 13-8 to Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats tell the story in IronPigs win over Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Split Doubleheader with Tides on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Reyes Homers Again in Loss to Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Syracuse Sweeps Twin Bill Despite Two CGs for Pawtucket Starters - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-5) vs. Louisville Bats (7-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Sweep Doubleheader against Red Sox on Saturday, Improve to 7-2 at NBT Bank Stadium this Season - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Game Suspended - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rain Forces the Suspension of Saturday's Bisons/RailRiders Doubleheader at Sahlen Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (7-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-5) - Louisville Bats
- Tucker Recalled, Reynolds' Contract Selected by Pirates - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, DH (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett