Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-2 on MLK Day
West Valley City, Utah - Trey Bradley and AJ White scored second period goals for the Utah Grizzlies but 4 Kansas City goals in the first period were too much to overcome as the Mavericks defeated the Grizzlies 5-2 on Monday evening at Maverik Center.
Kansas City got 2 goals and 1 assist from Brodie Reid, who had 5 goals and 3 assists in the 3 game series. The Mavericks got on the board 1:58 in as Lane Scheidl scored his 5th of the season. Reid's first of two goals in the period gave KC a 2-0 lead 4:50 in. Late first period goals by Bryan Lemos and Reid's 2nd of the night made it 4-0. Utah goalie Peyton Jones was removed with 2:50 left in the first period and was replaced by Parker Gahagen, who stopped all 19 he saw.
Utah got on the board as Trey Bradley scored a shorthanded goal, his first in a Utah uniform 14:27 into the second. The assist went to Riley Woods, who was 1 of 3 players making their Grizzlies debut as he was signed today along with defenseman Ryan Lowney and Ryker Killins. 2 and a half minutes later AJ White scored to make it 4-2 Mavericks. The score remained 4-2 until Luke Bafia scored an empty net goal with 2:11 left in regulation.
Kansas City went 2 for 5 on the power play, while Utah went 0 for 6. The Grizzlies outshot the Mavericks 40 to 30. Utah falls to 5-3-2-1 on the season, while Kansas City goes to 4-6-1-1 after winning 2 of the 3 games in the 3 game in 4 day series.
Next game for the Grizzlies is Friday, January 22nd at Rapid City for the first of a two game series. Next home game is January 29th against the Allen Americans. Face-off is at 7:10 and tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com.
Brodie Reid (Kansas City) - 2 goals, 1 assist.
Matt Greenfield (Kansas City) - 38 of 40 saves.
Bryan Lemos (Kansas City) - 1 goal.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2021
- Mavs Game Preview January 18 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavs Energizing First Period Leads to 5-2 Win over Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Defeat Grizzlies 5-2 on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Goalie Motte Loaned to Bridgeport - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: KC at Utah. January 18, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Sign Woods, Lowney and Killins - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Update - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Acquire Defender Cole Fraser - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Marcinew Inks Deal with Tucson - Indy Fuel
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Oil Drops: Oilers Gear up for Four-Game Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 18 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Bounce Back from Midweek Loss with Weekend Sweep - Florida Everblades
- Three Players Headed to San Jose - Allen Americans
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.