Matt Carson Wins PCL Player of the Week Honors
West Sacramento, Calif. - Sacramento River Cats outfielder Matt Carson was named the Pacific Coast League Player of the Week for the week of August 24 - 30, league officials announced Monday. The 28-year-old went 10-for-22 during the week, hitting 4 home runs and driving in 7 runs. Overall for the season, Carson - who was named the River Cats 2009 Best Offensive Player and Best Defensive Player in a pre-game ceremony on Sunday, August 30 - leads the River Cats in home runs (23) and RBIs (71).
Carson, who signed with the A's as a minor league free agent this off-season, is in his eighth professional season and his first with the River Cats. He was originally drafted by the New York Yankees in the 5th round of the 2002 Amateur Draft. In 2008, Carson was a member of the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankee team that the River Cats defeated in the Bricktown Showdown to claim their second straight Triple-A Championship.
River Cats Playoff Information
The River Cats begin their quest for a third consecutive PCL and Triple-A Championship when the 2009 playoffs begin on Wednesday, September 9th (first game at Raley Field - Friday, September 11th). This season, the Cats have the opportunity to win both playoff series at home and celebrate in front of the Raley Field faithful. The team will play games 1 and 2 (Sept. 9 and 10) of the 5-game Pacific Conference Championship Series on the road before hosting games 3, 4 and 5 (games 4 and 5 if necessary) at Raley Field (Sept. 11, 12 and 13).
If the River Cats advance to the PCL Championship Series (also a best-of-five format), they will again play games 1 and 2 (Sept. 15 and 16) on the road and host games 3, 4 and 5 (games 4 and 5 if necessary) at Raley Field (Sept. 18, 19 and 20). If the River Cats were to win this series and be crowned Pacific Coast League Champions for the third straight year, they would then play the International League Champion in the Triple-A Championship Game in Oklahoma City broadcast worldwide on ESPN2 (Sept. 22). The complete playoff schedule is as follows:
PCL Pacific Conference Championship Series (Round 1) PCL Championship Series
Gm. 1: Wed., Sept. 9 at North Division Winner (Game Time TBA) Gm. 1: Tue., Sept. 15 at American Conference Winner (Game Time TBA)
Gm. 2: Thur., Sept. 10 at North Division Winner (Game Time TBA) Gm. 2: Wed., Sept. 16 at American Conference Winner (Game Time TBA)
Gm. 3: Fri., Sept. 11 at Raley Field (7:05 p.m.) Gm. 3: Fri., Sept. 18 at Raley Field (7:05 p.m.)
Gm. 4: Sat., Sept. 12 at Raley Field (7:05 p.m.) - if necessary Gm. 4: Sat., Sept. 19 at Raley Field (7:05 p.m.) - if necessary
Gm. 5: Sun., Sept. 13 at Raley Field (1:05 p.m.) - if necessary Gm. 5: Sun., Sept. 20 at Raley Field (1:05 p.m.) - if necessary
Tickets still remain for playoff games at Raley Field. For more information about the 2009 Playoffs at Raley Field, including promotional schedule and ticket information, visit www.rivercats.com/playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Seventh-inning rally helps 'Topes derail Express, 6-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox break out of slump, thump Portland 11-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 12th-inning Patterson blast puts Sounds in first - Nashville Sounds
- Murton ends Sky Sox skid with two homers, six RBI - Portland Beavers
- OKC tops New Orleans, 9-4 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's Lose to OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- John Bowker named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Jones, Strickland named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rodriguez Optioned to Salt Lake, Denham Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Matt Carson Wins PCL Player of the Week Honors - Sacramento River Cats
- Hester Chosen as All-PCL Catcher - Reno Aces
- Aces Mystery Ball Fundraiser Set For September 4 - Reno Aces
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Sounds SS Alcides Escobar Named To All-PCL Team - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- DiNardo Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Terry Evans Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- 2009 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- 51s Blank Aces, 9-0 - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque Isotopes Clinch American Southern Division - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship
- Adames lifts River Cats over Express in game two
- Avelino provides walk-off as River Cats take Game 1
- River Cats Take on Round Rock for PCL Championship
- First-inning homers spark series-clinching win over Aviators