2009 All-PCL Team Announced
August 31, 2009 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Pacific Coast League today announced its 2009 All-PCL Team, featuring the League's best players at every position including right-handed and left-handed starting pitchers, as well as a relief pitcher. The prestigious team is selected annually by vote of the PCL's field managers and media representatives based on season-long performance.
Two PCL rookies, second baseman Eric Young Jr. of Colorado Springs and shortstop Alcides Escobar of Nashville, patrol the middle of the infield. Young and Escobar are first and third in the league in stolen bases with 58 and 42 respectively and both are currently in the Major Leagues. Young leads the league in runs scored with 118. First baseman Randy Ruiz of Las Vegas is hitting .322 with 25 home runs and a league-leading 106 RBI despite being called up by the Blue Jays in early August. The newcomer to the PCL also leads the league in extra base hits with 70 and doubles with 43. Esteban German of the Oklahoma City RedHawks is the third baseman for the PCL. He is eighth in the league in batting average at .317 and third in on-base percentage at .416. Young, Escobar, Ruiz and German all were members of the 2009 mid-season PCL All-Star team. Designated hitter Mitch Jones of Albuquerque leads the PCL in home runs with 33 and slugging percentage at .635 and is tied for second in RBIs with 93. Behind the plate is another PCL rookie John Hester of Reno, who was hitting .328 with nine home runs and 66 RBI before he was promoted to Arizona last Friday.
The outfield members are John Bowker of Fresno, Terry Evans of Salt Lake and Matt Miller of Colorado Springs and their names can be found among many of the league's offensive statistical leaders. Bowker leads the PCL with a .340 batting average and a .449 on-base percentage to go along with 21 home runs and 83 RBI. A member of the 2009 mid-season PCL All-Star team, Evans is hitting .286 with 25 home runs and 86 RBI. He is second in the league in extra base hits with 63, third in runs scored with 96 and tied for fourth in hits with 146. Miller, another member of the 2009 mid-season PCL All-Star team, sits in third place in the league in average at .325 but is the league leader in hits with a 159. The Sky Sox outfielder is also tied for second in RBI with 93 and third in doubles with 36.
On the mound for the PCL are Bud Norris of Round Rock and Lenny DiNardo of Omaha with Norris as the top right-hander and DiNardo as the top left-hander. Norris started the mid-season All-Star game for the PCL and leads the league in ERA at 2.63 despite a call-up to Houston in late July. DiNardo is fifth in the PCL in ERA with a 3.33 and second in strikeouts with a 126. Scott Strickland of Albuquerque, the league leader in saves with 31, is the relief pitcher for the PCL.
2009 ALL-PCL TEAM
Position Player Team
Catcher John Hester Reno Aces
First Baseman Randy Ruiz Las Vegas 51s
Second Baseman Eric Young Jr. Colorado Springs Sky Sox
Shortstop Alcides Escobar Nashville Sounds
Third Baseman Esteban German Oklahoma City RedHawks
Outfielder John Bowker Fresno Grizzlies
Outfielder Terry Evans Salt Lake Bees
Outfielder Matt Miller Colorado Springs Sky Sox
Designated Hitter Mitch Jones Albuquerque Isotopes
Right-Handed Pitcher Bud Norris Round Rock Express
Left-Handed Pitcher Lenny DiNardo Omaha Royals
Relief Pitcher Scott Strickland Albuquerque Isotopes
PCL Post-Season Awards Release Schedule:
Rookie of the Year: Tuesday, September 1
Pitcher of the Year: Wednesday, September 2
Most Valuable Player: Thursday, September 3
Manager of the Year: Friday, September 4
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Seventh-inning rally helps 'Topes derail Express, 6-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox break out of slump, thump Portland 11-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 12th-inning Patterson blast puts Sounds in first - Nashville Sounds
- Murton ends Sky Sox skid with two homers, six RBI - Portland Beavers
- OKC tops New Orleans, 9-4 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's Lose to OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- John Bowker named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Jones, Strickland named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rodriguez Optioned to Salt Lake, Denham Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Matt Carson Wins PCL Player of the Week Honors - Sacramento River Cats
- Hester Chosen as All-PCL Catcher - Reno Aces
- Aces Mystery Ball Fundraiser Set For September 4 - Reno Aces
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Sounds SS Alcides Escobar Named To All-PCL Team - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- DiNardo Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Terry Evans Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- 2009 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- 51s Blank Aces, 9-0 - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque Isotopes Clinch American Southern Division - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.