Murton ends Sky Sox skid with two homers, six RBI
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Matt Murton crushed two homers and drove in six runs as the Colorado Springs Sky Sox scored seven unanswered runs to beat the Portland Beavers 11-4 on Monday night at Security Service Field.
Murton's six RBIs were his second-highest total of the season and the Triple-A All-Star outfielder was aided by three hits apiece by Christian Colonel and Jonathan Herrera.
The Sky Sox (70-65), who entered the game on a four-game losing streak and clinging to a first-place tie in the Pacific North Division of the PCL, got six solid innings from Adam Eaton (4-3), who gave up four runs on nine hits but did not walk anyone.
Craig Stansberry and Chad Huffman each had two hits for the Beavers (57-80), who have lost seven in a row after winning seven-of-eight.
The Sky Sox took a 4-0 lead with two runs in each of the first two innings, using RBI singles by Murton and Colonel in the first and Herrera's RBI double and Mike McCoy's sac fly in the second.
The Beavers tied the game with four in the fourth by stringing together four hits to start the inning. Stansberry led off with a double and Russ Adams followed with a single. Following a wild pitch that allowed Stansberry to score from third, Huffman hit an RBI double, Valentino Pascucci hit a sac fly and Mike Baxter hit an RBI single to knot the game.
Colorado Springs scored seven unanswered runs, starting in the fifth with Murton's tie-breaking three-run shot off Beavers starter Josh Banks.
Murton added a two-run homer in the seventh off Walter Silva before Herrera had his second RBI of the night.
Banks (7-7) suffered the loss after giving up a season-high eight runs on eight hits and four walks across five innings.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Seventh-inning rally helps 'Topes derail Express, 6-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox break out of slump, thump Portland 11-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 12th-inning Patterson blast puts Sounds in first - Nashville Sounds
- Murton ends Sky Sox skid with two homers, six RBI - Portland Beavers
- OKC tops New Orleans, 9-4 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's Lose to OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- John Bowker named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Jones, Strickland named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rodriguez Optioned to Salt Lake, Denham Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Matt Carson Wins PCL Player of the Week Honors - Sacramento River Cats
- Hester Chosen as All-PCL Catcher - Reno Aces
- Aces Mystery Ball Fundraiser Set For September 4 - Reno Aces
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Sounds SS Alcides Escobar Named To All-PCL Team - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- DiNardo Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Terry Evans Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- 2009 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- 51s Blank Aces, 9-0 - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque Isotopes Clinch American Southern Division - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss