John Bowker named to All-PCL Team
FRESNO, CA - The Pacific Coast League announced this afternoon that the Fresno Grizzlies' John Bowker was chosen as one of three outfielders on the 2009 All-PCL Team, an annual recognition of the league's best players at each position. The left handed slugger leads the league with a .340 batting average and an on-base percentage of .449. In addition, Bowker has hammered 21 home runs and produced a team high 83 RBI so far in 2009. The prestigious team is selected each year by vote of the PCL's field managers and media representatives based on season-long performance.
The Long Beach State product has powered the Grizzlies offense all season with impressive numbers, including a franchise record for home runs in a month when he hit twelve this June. Bowker is currently in the midst of the PCL's second-longest consecutive game on-base streak that started back on June 29th. The 33 straight games in which he has reached base is only five games shy of the league's longest streak set at 38 games by Matt Murton of Colorado Springs.
If the season ended today, the Grizzlies left fielder would post the second highest batting average (Dallimore .352, 2003) and the best on-base percentage in Grizzlies team history. Bowker has been solid defensively all year as well, boasting a .979 fielding percentage with nine outfield assists. He also ranks among the PCL's top five in slugging percentage (3rd, .579) and runs scored (5th, 82).
Bowker becomes the first Grizzlies player to be named to the postseason All-Star squad since Todd Linden in 2005. The Pacific Coast League will announce several other award winners later this week including Rookie of the Year, Pitcher of the Year, Most Valuable Player, and Manager of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Seventh-inning rally helps 'Topes derail Express, 6-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox break out of slump, thump Portland 11-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 12th-inning Patterson blast puts Sounds in first - Nashville Sounds
- Murton ends Sky Sox skid with two homers, six RBI - Portland Beavers
- OKC tops New Orleans, 9-4 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's Lose to OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- John Bowker named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Jones, Strickland named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rodriguez Optioned to Salt Lake, Denham Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Matt Carson Wins PCL Player of the Week Honors - Sacramento River Cats
- Hester Chosen as All-PCL Catcher - Reno Aces
- Aces Mystery Ball Fundraiser Set For September 4 - Reno Aces
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Sounds SS Alcides Escobar Named To All-PCL Team - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- DiNardo Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Terry Evans Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- 2009 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- 51s Blank Aces, 9-0 - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque Isotopes Clinch American Southern Division - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th