Sounds SS Alcides Escobar Named To All-PCL Team
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Former Nashville Sounds shortstop Alcides Escobar has been named to the 2009 All-Pacific Coast League Team, which was announced by the league office this afternoon.
The 22-year-old - who entered the year as the top prospect in the Brewers organization according to Baseball America - batted .298 with four home runs, 34 RBIs, and 42 stolen bases in 109 games with the Sounds this season before being called up by Milwaukee on August 12.
He ranked 8th in the PCL in hits (128) at the time of his promotion. Escobar also led the Sounds and ranked 6th in the PCL in runs scored (76) and 2nd in the circuit in stolen bases (42) when summoned by the Brewers.
The All-PCL selection is the latest in a string of honors bestowed upon the youngster this season.
Escobar was previously named the Most Exciting Player in the Pacific Coast League during the 2009 season in a recent "Best Tools" poll of circuit managers conducted by Baseball America.
In addition, he was also named the PCL's best defensive shortstop and best infield arm in that same poll.
Escobar, who has batted .327 (14-for-49) in 17 games with Milwaukee since his call-up, participated in the 2009 All-Star Futures Game and Triple-A All-Star Game earlier this season.
The All-PCL squad is selected annually through voting by the league's managers and media representatives.
Escobar is the first Sound to be recognized on the All-PCL team since 2007, when pitchers R.A. Dickey and Adam Pettyjohn were elected.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Seventh-inning rally helps 'Topes derail Express, 6-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox break out of slump, thump Portland 11-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 12th-inning Patterson blast puts Sounds in first - Nashville Sounds
- Murton ends Sky Sox skid with two homers, six RBI - Portland Beavers
- OKC tops New Orleans, 9-4 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's Lose to OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- John Bowker named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Jones, Strickland named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rodriguez Optioned to Salt Lake, Denham Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Matt Carson Wins PCL Player of the Week Honors - Sacramento River Cats
- Hester Chosen as All-PCL Catcher - Reno Aces
- Aces Mystery Ball Fundraiser Set For September 4 - Reno Aces
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Sounds SS Alcides Escobar Named To All-PCL Team - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- DiNardo Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Terry Evans Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- 2009 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- 51s Blank Aces, 9-0 - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque Isotopes Clinch American Southern Division - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Introduce "Safe and Sounds at Home" Campaign
- March 17 and March 24 Vanderbilt Baseball Games Cancelled at First Horizon Park
- Nashville Sounds and First Horizon Park Business Operations Update
- Sounds Donate $100,000 to Music City Inc. to Help Aid Tornado Relief
- Nashville Sounds Announce Continued Tornado Recovery Efforts