RedHawks Game Notes
New Orleans Zephyrs (60-75) at Oklahoma City RedHawks (65-70)
Game 136 | Aug. 31, 2009, 4:05 pm CDT | AT&T Bricktown Ballpark | Oklahoma City, OK
Fox Sports Radio AM 1340, RedHawks Radio Network | Play-by-Play: Jim Byers & Adam Marco
Today's scheduled starting pitchers:
RH Guillermo Moscoso (5-4, 2.31) vs. RH Willie Glen (1-2, 6.41)
TODAY: The Oklahoma City RedHawks return home to begin the final homestand of the season as they host the first of 4 against the New Orleans Zephyrs. The RedHawks were shut out in Iowa yesterday 2-0, dropping them into a 6-game losing streak that matches their longest of the season. OKC went 2-8 on the trip to Omaha and Iowa and has lost 12 of its last 14, scoring 22 runs in the 12 losses. The RedHawks are due to start righthander Guillermo Moscoso, who received no decision in his other start against New Orleans July 23 at Zephyr Field. The Z's counter with righthander Willie Glen, who lost to the RedHawks in his only start of the year against them July 21, allowing 8 runs (3 earned) in 5 innings.
Road Trip Stats
AVG. G AB H R HR BB SO SB CS
OKC Hitting .221 10 308 68 29 7 32 90 8 2
ERA W-L IP H R ER BB SO HR
OKC Pitching 4.42 2-8 75.1 78 37 37 23 55 7
ALBUQUERQUE CLINCHES: The RedHawks' 2-0 loss yesterday coupled with Albuquerque's 8-4 win over Memphis secured the American South title for the Isotopes. Albuquerque makes the post-season for the second time, having also won a division title in 2003, the year the franchise began play in the Duke City after moving from Calgary. The Isotopes are in their first year of affiliation with the Los Angeles Dodgers after being associated with the Florida Marlins dating to the franchise's days in Calgary. Florida is in its first year of affiliation with New Orleans.
PRINCIPALLY SPEAKING, A TOUGH PLACE TO HIT: The season series with Iowa ended yesterday with the Cubs winning the game 2-0 and the season series 11-5. OKC was swept in the 5-game set, OKC's second losing sweep in three series after not being swept all season prior to the Colorado Springs series Aug. 18-21. In 8 games at Iowa's Principal Park this season, the RedHawks went 1-7, losing the final 7 and totaling 11 runs on 47 hits for a .178 batting average (47-for-264). In 8 games between OKC and Iowa at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark, OKC was 4-4 with 40 runs scored and a .293 average.
EXITING QUIETLY: Yesterday marked the eighth time OKC was shut out this season and 6 of those shutouts came in the final game of a series. The RedHawks are 14-20 in the final game of a series and 16-17 in series openers.
SLOW STARTS: The RedHawks have allowed the first run in 3 straight games, 6 out of 7 and 13 of the last 16 games. OKC has scored in the first inning once in the last 18 games, plating a single run Aug. 22 in Omaha in that span. The last time the RedHawks scored multiple runs in the first inning was Aug. 12 at Fresno, when Chris Davis hit a 2-run homer.
GERMAN IS ALL-PCL: Esteban German was named today as the third baseman on the post-season All-PCL team. German spent the first 4 months of the season with the RedHawks before being purchased by Texas Aug. 5 and is slated to complete a rehab stint today (right groin strain). He's tied for eighth in the PCL in batting at .317, third in on-base percentage at .416, tied for fifth in walks with 63 and sixth in stolen bases with 35.
SMOAK, FROSTAD SEE THE WORLD: RedHawks Justin Smoak and Emerson Frostad will be inactive for the remainder of the season as they join their respective countries' teams for the upcoming World Cup, Smoak with the United States and Frostad with Canada.
NEW NAME FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: The Bricktown Showdown, which the PCL champion has won all three years it's been played, is now the Triple-A Baseball National Championship Game. The annual meeting of the playoff champions from the International and Pacific Coast Leagues takes place at Oklahoma City's AT&T Bricktown Ballpark Sept. 22 at 6 pm CDT and will be broadcast live again this season on ESPN2 and Westwood One radio.
Date Opponent Oklahoma City Pitcher Opposing Pitcher Radio
Tuesday Sept. 1 New Orleans RH Elizardo Ramirez 8-10, 4.67 RH Rick VandenHurk 5-2, 2.87 KTOK AM 1000
Wed. Sept. 2 New Orleans TBA RH Hayden Penn 2-4, 4.36 KTOK AM 1000
Thursday Sept. 3 New Orleans RH Luis Mendoza 6-7, 4.56 RH Clay Hensley 8-4, 3.74 KTOK AM 1000
Friday Sept. 4 @ Memphis KEBC AM 1340
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Seventh-inning rally helps 'Topes derail Express, 6-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox break out of slump, thump Portland 11-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 12th-inning Patterson blast puts Sounds in first - Nashville Sounds
- Murton ends Sky Sox skid with two homers, six RBI - Portland Beavers
- OKC tops New Orleans, 9-4 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's Lose to OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- John Bowker named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Jones, Strickland named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rodriguez Optioned to Salt Lake, Denham Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Matt Carson Wins PCL Player of the Week Honors - Sacramento River Cats
- Hester Chosen as All-PCL Catcher - Reno Aces
- Aces Mystery Ball Fundraiser Set For September 4 - Reno Aces
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Sounds SS Alcides Escobar Named To All-PCL Team - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- DiNardo Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Terry Evans Named to 2009 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- 2009 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- 51s Blank Aces, 9-0 - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque Isotopes Clinch American Southern Division - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers Hosting Sixth Annual Fan Fest March 28
- OKC Dodgers Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Annual OKC Dodgers High School Baseball Series Returns this Week
- OKC Dodgers Announce Special Promotions for 2020 Home Schedule