Maten's 42 Points Lifts Skyforce over Kings
STOCKTON, CA - Miami HEAT two-way player Yante Maten dropped a career-high 42 points (15-21 FG), 14 rebounds and a career-high five blocks to lead the Sioux Falls Skyforce (10-2) to a 113-108 victory over the Stockton Kings (5-5) at Stockton Arena on Sunday afternoon.
Stockton made seven of its first 10 three-point attempts and jumped out to an 11-point lead in the first quarter, but Maten and the visiting Skyforce slowly chipped away at the deficit before eventually tying the game at 40 points apiece in the second quarter.
Matt Jones (28 points and seven rebounds) scored 20 of his team-leading 28 points in the first half alone, but the Kings weren't able to create much separation before carrying a 59-57 lead into the halftime break. A Briante Weber-led Sioux Falls defense then proceeded to force 12 Stockton turnovers in the third quarter alone to put the Skyforce on top for good, despite a late-game push by the Kings. Weber (four steals) recorded his ninth-straight game with at least three steals in the win.
Rodney Purvis (15 points) and Miami HEAT two-way player Duncan Robinson (15 points) accompanied Maten's dominant performance, while Bubu Palo (11 points) and Charles Cooke III (11 points) rounded out the double-digit scorers off the bench for the Skyforce.
Kalin Lucas (26 points) posted yet another 20-point performance off the bench for Stockton, while Cody Demps (16 points and eight rebounds), Marcus Williams (10 points and nine assists) and Anthony Walker (10 points and eight rebounds) made up the majority of the offensive output in the loss.
Maten has now scored 30-or-more points in three-straight games and was a big reason why the Skyforce, usually known their success from three-point range, outscored the Kings by a 54-38 margin in the paint on the afternoon.
Sioux Falls now travels to Santa Cruz on Wednesday, December 5, to take on the Warriors (9-2) in what will be a battle between the best two teams in the Western Conference to this point in the season. Stockton will now enjoy close to a week off before visiting the Northern Arizona Suns (3-10) on Saturday, December 8.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Iowa Sneaks Past Memphis for Bounce Back Win - Iowa Wolves
- Hustle Succumb to Late Run by Iowa Wolves - Memphis Hustle
- Stockton Kings Fall Short to Sioux Skyforce, 113-108 - Stockton Kings
- Maten's 42 Points Lifts Skyforce over Kings - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Drops First Home Game of Season to Lakeland - Long Island Nets
- Dominant Third Quarter Sends Blue over Clippers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Double Doubles from Bennett and Motley Not Enough as Clippers Fall to Blue - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Drive Drop Third Straight, Fall to 905 - Grand Rapids Drive
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Demarcus Holland - Agua Caliente Clippers
- South Bay Lakers Acquire First Round Pick from Agua Caliente - South Bay Lakers
- Hornets Recall Dwayne Bacon and Devonte' Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Warriors Take Revenge on Texas - Texas Legends
- Santa Cruz Warriors Uses Huge Second Quarter Run to Beat the Texas Legends 121-89 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.