Santa Cruz Warriors Uses Huge Second Quarter Run to Beat the Texas Legends 121-89
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors (9-2) utilized a 40-point second quarter to race past the Texas Legends (6-7) tonight, 121-89 at Kaiser Permanente Arena. Santa Cruz's dominant performance evens the season series against the Legends, who won the front end of the back-to-back 104-102 last night.
Guard Kendrick Nunn finished with a team-high 21 points on 8-of-15 shooting from the field, including 15 in the second quarter, to go with five rebounds off the bench. Guard Trayvon Palmer, logging his first career start after being acquired earlier this week, filled the stat sheet with 17 points, 11 in the second period, and added ten rebounds, two steals and two blocks on a team-high 39 minutes of action. Golden State Warriors two-way forward Marcus Derrickson notched his second double-double of the season with 13 points and 12 rebounds to go with six assists tonight.
The Legends were led by forward Kostas Antetokounmpo, who had 14 points, six rebounds and two blocks in 27 minutes off the bench. Dallas Mavericks two-way guard Daryl Macon scored 13 points and six assists, while Xavier Johnson had 11 points and seven rebounds in 19 minutes off the bench.
Guard Darius Morris scored eight points for Santa Cruz in the first quarter as the team held on to a narrow two point lead at the end of the quarter, 26-24. Santa Cruz then exploded in the second quarter, led by a 9-0 run by Nunn and Palmer, who combined for 26 points of the team's 40 points on 8-of-10 from the field (4-of-5 from three).
The team's 40-20 second period put the game out of reach, as the Legends never brought the lead back to within 22 for the remainder of the night. Seven Warriors, including all five starters, scored in double figures, including four double-doubles and a near triple double for guard Will Cherry, who had 10 points, nine rebounds and 10 assists.
The Warriors will host the Sioux Falls Skyforce next Wednesday, December 5 at Kaiser Permanente Arena (7:00 p.m. PST, NBC Sports Bay Area Plus), which tips-off the team's third game in a four night stretch. The first 1,500 fans to arrive at Kaiser Permanente Arena Wednesday night will also receive a limited edition Stephen Curry Bobblehead. For information on tickets for Wednesday night and all Santa Cruz Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Iowa Sneaks Past Memphis for Bounce Back Win - Iowa Wolves
- Hustle Succumb to Late Run by Iowa Wolves - Memphis Hustle
- Stockton Kings Fall Short to Sioux Skyforce, 113-108 - Stockton Kings
- Maten's 42 Points Lifts Skyforce over Kings - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Drops First Home Game of Season to Lakeland - Long Island Nets
- Dominant Third Quarter Sends Blue over Clippers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Double Doubles from Bennett and Motley Not Enough as Clippers Fall to Blue - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Drive Drop Third Straight, Fall to 905 - Grand Rapids Drive
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Demarcus Holland - Agua Caliente Clippers
- South Bay Lakers Acquire First Round Pick from Agua Caliente - South Bay Lakers
- Hornets Recall Dwayne Bacon and Devonte' Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Warriors Take Revenge on Texas - Texas Legends
- Santa Cruz Warriors Uses Huge Second Quarter Run to Beat the Texas Legends 121-89 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Recovery Resource Center at Kaiser Permanente Arena to Reduce Hours
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Recovery Resource Center for Victims Affected by the Czu Lightning Complex Fire
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund