Dominant Third Quarter Sends Blue over Clippers
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Blue (9-2) used a commanding third quarter to defeat the Agua Caliente Clippers (5-6), 122-105 on Sunday afternoon.
The Blue outscored the Clippers, 38-24, in the third quarter, behind 11 points from Thunder assignee Abdel Nader. Free throws from Justin Leon gave Oklahoma City its largest lead at 32 points with just over three minutes left in the quarter and the Blue never lost the double-digit lead.
Nader was one of four in double figures for Oklahoma City, scoring a team-high 31 points along with five rebounds and three assists while Leon tallied eight points and six rebounds.
The Blue scored 18 points on 13 Clippers' turnovers and tallied 70 points in the paint.
"I thought our defense in the second [and] third quarters specifically was really, really good," Head Coach Mark Daigneault said. "I thought our guys played the right way and [they're] continuing to build good habits and good chemistry."
In a tightly contested first half, with nine ties and 10 lead changes, two-way player Tyler Davis scored a layup with under 10 minutes left in the first half that sparked a 12-0 run for the Blue. Dez Wells scored 11 points in the quarter, as the Blue led 61-48 at halftime.
Davis had his ninth game in double figures, scoring 14 points along with five rebounds and Wells was the leading scorer off the bench, tallying 17 points and five rebounds.
Anthony Bennett led the Clippers with a double-double of 28 points and 10 rebounds.
Oklahoma City heads on the road to face the Maine Red Claws on Dec. 6 at 6 p.m. at the Portland Exposition Building for the first of a four-game road trip.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Iowa Sneaks Past Memphis for Bounce Back Win - Iowa Wolves
- Hustle Succumb to Late Run by Iowa Wolves - Memphis Hustle
- Stockton Kings Fall Short to Sioux Skyforce, 113-108 - Stockton Kings
- Maten's 42 Points Lifts Skyforce over Kings - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Drops First Home Game of Season to Lakeland - Long Island Nets
- Dominant Third Quarter Sends Blue over Clippers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Double Doubles from Bennett and Motley Not Enough as Clippers Fall to Blue - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Drive Drop Third Straight, Fall to 905 - Grand Rapids Drive
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Demarcus Holland - Agua Caliente Clippers
- South Bay Lakers Acquire First Round Pick from Agua Caliente - South Bay Lakers
- Hornets Recall Dwayne Bacon and Devonte' Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Warriors Take Revenge on Texas - Texas Legends
- Santa Cruz Warriors Uses Huge Second Quarter Run to Beat the Texas Legends 121-89 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Blue Stories
- Oklahoma City Announces Coaching Staff Updates
- Oklahoma City Acquires Returning Player Rights to Beau Beech and First-Round Draft Pick
- Thunder Signs Devon Hall to Two-Way Contract
- Oklahoma City Blue Announces 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Oklahoma City Wins Overtime Nail-Biter