LumberKings Strikeout 20 Times in 2-0 Loss
CLINTON, IA - Clinton LumberKings hitters went down 20 times by way of the strikeout in a 2-0 loss to the Quad Cities River Bandits on Tuesday night. Strong performances from Chris Vallimont, Sean Guenther, and Steve Farnworth went to waste for the LumberKings (2-4) in their third straight loss.
Quad Cities (3-3) scored the only runs of the game early. In the top of the second, Scott Schreiber singled to open the inning, moved to second on a Marty Costes single, and took third on a wild pitch. Andy Pineda then scored Schreiber with a sacrifice fly to left that would be all the River Bandits needed.
Vallimont (0-1) allowed the final run of the night in the following inning. With one out in the top of the third inning, Ross Adolph drew a walk and scored three pitches later on a Jeremy Pena RBI double into the left field corner.
Clinton failed to back their starting pitcher with any support as they struggled to put pressure on Quad Cities starter Austin Hansen and reliever Shawn Dubin.
Hansen ended his night with 11 strikeouts and no walks to earn his first win of the year. Bubba Hollins had both of the hits recorded against Hansen (1-0) but the LumberKings failed to get two men on in the same inning against him over his five innings of work.
Dubin was the only other arm used by the River Bandits and continued the theme of strikeouts. Over his four inning outing he struck out nine while walking none and holding the LumberKings scoreless.
Clinton's only rally of the game came in the bottom of the ninth following three straight singles that loaded the bases with one man out. Hollins popped out for the second out of the inning and Dubin struck out Demetrius Sims to end the game and give the River Bandits 20 strikeouts for the night.
The LumberKings franchise record for strikeouts in a game was in danger to be broken. 1965's Clinton C-Sox struck out a record 21 times on July 28th to establish the current franchise mark.
The LumberKings will play game three of their four-game series with the Quad Cities River Bandits on Tuesday night. Clinton will give the ball to righty Josh Roberson (1-0, 0.00) while Quad Cities will counter with right-handed pitcher Nivaldo Rodriguez (1-0, 0.00).
Tuesday will be the first "Retro Beer Night" of the year. Come down to the ballpark and enjoy select retro beers at the groovy and far out price of just $2.
Game time is slated for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 9, 2019
- Burlington Falls 4-0 to Beloit - Burlington Bees
- 'Caps Hang on in Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- LumberKings Strikeout 20 Times in 2-0 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Parsons, Chiefs Shutout Rattlers 9-0 - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Walk Off in a Wild One - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Clutch Cougars Win Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Blank Bees 4-0 for First Shutout of the Year - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Pitching Strikes out 20 in 2-0 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kane County Takes Tuesday Tilt - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kirk and Pruitt Homer, But Nuts Come up Short - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne Tops Dragons on Walk-Off Double, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Shut Out Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs Pitching Strikes out 13 in 6-1 Win over Loons - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Awake from Slumber - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 9 vs. Dayton (Game 6) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Tickets for Pitbull Concert at Four Winds Field to Go on Sale Wednesday, April 10 at 10 AM ET - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons to Recognize "Folds of Honor" Recipients During Game on April 12 - Dayton Dragons
- Griffin's Homer Wins Fan $10,000 - Burlington Bees
- Kernels to Host Quad Cities, April 15-17, Due to River Flooding - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lack of Stadium Access Forces Bandits to Relocate Second Home Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes for DH - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Partner with TBK Bank to Renovate Youth Field - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Edge Beloit in Extras - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings drop series opener 6-5 in 10-innings - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Fall in First Extra Innings Affair - Beloit Snappers
- Late Offense Catapults Cougars over Kernels - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Clip Kernels Monday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Gorman Homers Twice as Chiefs Fall 10-6 - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Win Extra-Innings Thriller 6-5 to Open Series in Clinton - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Roar Back to Claim Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.