LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1
Peoria, IL - Ray Kerr threw seven strong innings and Dimas Ojeda homered for the seventh time this season but the Clinton LumberKings fell to the Peoria Chiefs 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at Dozer Park. Clinton (23-25, 62-57) managed just four hits in the game and were bested by an eighth inning run by the Chiefs (29-18, 68-49).
Kerr started for Clinton and pitched effectively around trouble over his seven innings of work. Peoria collected at least one hit against Kerr in each of his innings of work but the lefty worked around most of the trouble to hold the Chiefs to just one run.
In the bottom of the fourth inning, Peoria broke a scoreless tie with a solo home run from Luken Baker to left field that put the Chiefs on top, briefly, 1-0. The home run was his second of the season.
The LumberKings answered the home run with one of their own in the top of the fifth. Dimas Ojeda opened the inning with his first home run since June 6th against the Burlington Bees and seventh of the season.
The game remained tied until the bottom for the eighth when Clinton turned the ball over to the bullpen and reliever Adonis De La Cruz. Rayder Ascanio led the inning off with a single past the bag at third and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by JR Davis. Nolan Gorman then singled through the right side of the infield on an 0-2 pitch from De La Cruz (3-3). The hit was Gorman's third of the game and proved to be the decisive blow in a game dominated by pitching.
Robbie Gordan (1-0) earned his first win of the season with the Chiefs for turning in a shutout inning of relief in the top of the eighth.
Kodi Whitley then set the LumberKings down 1-2-3 in the top of the ninth to earn his eighth save of the season.
The LumberKings will meet the Peoria Chiefs for the third game of their four-game series on Monday night. Clinton will throw right-hander Scott Boches (2-4, 3.28) while the Chiefs will tap lefty Jake Dahlberg (1-1, 3.75). First pitch is slated for 7:00 PM. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 6:45 PM with the pregame show.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.