River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday
DAVENPORT, IOWA - Edgardo Sandoval recorded a career-high 11 strikeouts in six scoreless innings Sunday and led the Quad Cities River Bandits to a 5-0 three-hit shutout against the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Modern Woodmen Park. Quad Cities (27-22, 67-52) earned its Midwest League-leading 14th shutout victory with Sunday's win over Cedar Rapids (31-18, 63-55).
Sandoval (1-1) kept the Kernels quiet within his longest outing of the season. He allowed just three hits and one walk during a quality start, and he tallied at least one strikeout in each frame while racking up a personal-best 11 total strikeouts.
Parker Mushinski and Willy Collado combined for three scoreless frames in relief to complete the shutout. Mushinski faced the minimum over two innings pitched. Collado tossed a perfect ninth inning capped by a strikeout.
Scott Schreiber lifted Quad Cities to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. Batting with a full count and two outs, Schrieber belted a line-drive home run into the batter's eye that put the River Bandits in front.
Three more two-out runs during the fifth stretched Quad Cities' lead to 4-0. Logan Mattix drove in Schreiber with a sacrifice fly, and Colton Shaver followed by hitting a two-run homer to left field.
Quad Cities also added a run in the eighth inning. Ruben Castro singled to open the inning, moved up two bases on an errant pickoff throw, and scored via wild pitch to put the lead at 5-0 River Bandits.
Jhoan Durán dropped to 1-1 with the Kernels and 6-5 overall in Midwest League action as the losing pitcher Sunday. Durán surrendered four runs over five innings pitched.
Cedar Rapids and Quad Cities will continue to play each other over the next two evenings at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Monday's contest is slated for 6:35 p.m., and the probable pitchers are Kernels right-hander Edwar Colina (6-3, 2.66) and River Bandits right-hander Bryan Abreu (3-0, 0.44). Fans unable to attend the game can follow the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
Mark Down Monday kicks off a five-game Kernels homestand that continues through Friday, August 17. Regular hot dogs are available for $1.50 apiece Monday. Ice cream sandwiches, chips, and small popcorn are just $1.00 each as well.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- First Kernels Summer Job Fair: February 28 & March 2
- 2019 Fab 5 Ticket Packages on Sale Now
- Kernels Announce 2019 Promotional Schedule
- Six Former Kernels Invited to 2019 Twins Spring Training
- 2019 Nick Adenhart Memorial Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted