South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee
South Bend, IN: The South Bend Cubs defeated the Lake County Captains in game two of a four game series on Sunday afternoon from Four Winds Field by a final of 5-4 in a game where they started in last place. With the win, the Cubs bring themselves out of the cellar in the Eastern Division and tie the series against the Captains.
A late Lake County run in the final five innings put a scare on South Bend, as at one point the Cubs led 5-1. But by sticking with it, South Bend held on to win the game and tie the series. Starter Enrique De Los Rios pitched a quality start in five innings. With just two runs allowed, De Los Rios struck out two batters and shut the door for the first half of the game.
Offensively, the Cubs gave De Los Rios plenty of run support with five runs combined in the 3rd and 4th innings. The big rally South Bend has been looking for over the course of this seven-game homestand came alive in the 4th, as the Cubs plated four runs off of starter Juan Hillman.
Hillman exited the game after four innings with five runs allowed on six hits and two walks. He takes the loss in this one and drops his record to 3-12. De Los Rios earned the win and Brian Glowicki picked up his 16th save of the season.
Glowicki allowed two unearned runs over the course of his two innings of work. He closed the game handily in the top of the 9th to pick up the six out save. His ERA continues to fall and now has reached 1.23.
Top performers for South Bend included the duo of Delvin Zinn and Cam Balego. Zinn went 2/4 with his third RBI in two games of the series. Balego was a do-it-all player on Sunday with catching all nine innings and picking up a hit, RBI, run, and two walks at the plate.
Now with the series tied, the Cubs record improves to 55-63 overall and 21-28 in the second half. They will look to take the series lead tomorrow night in game three as the Cubs and Captains square off again from Four Winds Field. First pitch is set for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Cleanliness of Four Winds Field a Product of Hard Work and Dedication
- Midwest League All-Star Game to Air in Chicago and Michiana
- South Bend Cubs Offer Additional $2 Games
- South Bend Cubs and Weigel Broadcasting Co. Extend Television Deal for 2019 Season
- Chicago Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg to Headline All-Star Luncheon