Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4
LANSING, Mich. - Ryan Noda lined a two-run single and launched a two-run tie-breaking homer, lifting the Lansing Lugnuts (28-21, 71-48) to a 6-4 victory over the Bowling Green Hot Rods (29-20, 76-42) in front of 5,364 on Sunday afternoon at Cooley Law School Stadium.
The Lugnuts pulled back within one game of the Hot Rods for first place in the Midwest League's Eastern Division - which is irrelevant, since both teams clinched first-half playoff berths, but also factual.
Thanks to Noda's two-run first-inning single, the Nuts carried a 2-0 lead into the sixth inning, only to see the Hot Rods knock out starter Kyle Weatherly with a four-run rally.
The Lugnuts responded quickly, tying the score at 4-4 in the bottom of the sixth on a Vinny Capra single, an Andres Sotillo double and a run-scoring throwing error by right fielder Emilio Gustave, and Bryan Lizardo's first Midwest League base hit, a game-tying RBI single to right.
Noda struck again in the seventh. With Chavez Young aboard, the Lugnuts' left fielder bashed a Tyler Day (Loss, 0-4) delivery well beyond the right-center field wall for his 16th home run of the year.
Dany Jimenez (Win, 5-2) pitched three scoreless innings in relief, striking out three and allowing one hit and one walk.
Andrew Deramo pitched around a two-out single in the ninth for his second straight save.
Both Noda and Sotillo finished the game 3-for-4 to lead the Nuts' offense, with Young reaching base four times on a double, two walks and catcher's interference, and scoring two runs.
Monday is a Dog Days of Summer with dogs welcome to the ballpark for a 7:05 p.m. start, the third game of the four-game series. Left-hander Matt Gunter (5.12 ERA) faces Bowling Green right-hander Mikey York (2.39). To purchase tickets and live the Lug Life, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.