Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback
Geneva, Illinois- The Kane County Cougars (59-58, 24-24) came from behind to beat the Burlington Bees (44-71, 14-32), 3-2, on Sunday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field.
The Bees seized momentum in the second inning with a two-run frame. A one-out walk by Spencer Griffin and a Keinner Pina single put runners at first and second for Tim Millard. The righty hit a sharp grounder to third base that went between the legs of Cougar third baseman Jose Caballero for an error. That play scored Griffin to make it 1-0 Bees. Two batters later, Avlaro Rubalcaba collected an RBI single with a broken bat flare to left.
Bees starter Michael Santos dominated for five innings, shutting out the Cougar bats. Santos scattered six hits with three strikeouts and no walks.
After surrendering two runs (one earned) in the second, Cougar starter Cole Bartlett settled in to collect a quality start. He went six innings, allowing two runs, five hits, struck out six and walked one.
The Bees turned to former Cougar Anfernee Benitez in the sixth. In his first frame, he held the Cougars scoreless. In the seventh, Ryan Grotjohn led off with a single. Ryan Dobson followed with a double to put runners at second and third for Jose Caballero. Caballero lined a ball to left, scoring both runners to tie the game. Two hitters later, Yan Sanchez laced a ball to center, scoring Caballero and pushing the Cougars in front 3-2.
Cougar reliever Carlos Hernandez (1-0) tossed two scoreless frames, earning his first Midwest League win since 2016. Luis Castillo (2) hurled a 1-2-3 ninth inning to pick up the save.
Benitez (3-3) took the loss, surrendering all three runs in 1.2 innings. Ed Del Rosario held the Cougars scoreless in 1.1 innings.
The Cougars and Bees clash on Monday night at Northwestern Medicine Field in game three of the four-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Premium and craft beers are half-priced. Fans can run the bases postgame. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.