'Caps Miss Chances in Loss
FORT WAYNE, IN - The West Michigan Whitecaps left runners on-base and watched their troubles with runners in scoring position continue as part of a 5-2 loss to the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Sunday at Parkview Field.
The Whitecaps left 12 runners on base in the loss and are now 3-for-42 (.071) with runners at second and third through the first five games of their seven-game road trip.
Rey Rivera helped the "Caps open the scoring with a first-inning RBI-single to take a 1-0 lead. Fort Wayne responded with two in the second on run-scoring singles by Hunter Jarmon and Jeisson Rosario. After scoring a run in the fifth, the TinCaps plated a pair of runs when Jack Suwinski and Esteury Ruiz chipped in RBI-singles to extend the lead to 5-2. West Michigan scored a run in the seventh but came no closer as the TinCaps took the second game of the four-game series.
TinCaps starter Luis Patiño (5-3) allowed just one run in five innings of laboring baseball but recorded nine timely strikeouts to pick up his fifth win. "Caps starter Carson Lance (0-1) managed to work around seven base hits and five walks in just five innings in allowing three runs to take the loss in his West Michigan debut. The Whitecaps second-half record falls back to .500 at 24-24 and 60-58 overall, keeping the first potential playoff spot in the second-half Eastern Division standings. Fort Wayne improves to 54-63 on the season and 22-26 in the second half. Brock Deatherage (4-for-4) and Kody Clemens (single, double, two walks) each reached base four times for the "Caps in a losing cause.
The Whitecaps and Fort Wayne TinCaps continue their four-game series with a Monday night contest beginning at 7:05 pm. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:55 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2018 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Michigan Whitecaps Stories
- Whitecaps, Cumulus to Continue Radio Partnership
- Whitecaps Asking Fans to Submit Food Ideas; Winning Idea Will Receive a Suite
- Gardenhire, Former Whitecaps Players, Tigers Caravan Highlight Whitecaps' Annual "Step up to the Plate" Fundraiser
- Lance Parrish Returns as Whitecaps Manager
- Christmas Lite Show Returns with New Experiences