'Caps Miss Chances in Loss
FORT WAYNE, IN - The West Michigan Whitecaps left runners on-base and watched their troubles with runners in scoring position continue as part of a 5-2 loss to the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Sunday at Parkview Field.
The Whitecaps left 12 runners on base in the loss and are now 3-for-42 (.071) with runners at second and third through the first five games of their seven-game road trip.
Rey Rivera helped the "Caps open the scoring with a first-inning RBI-single to take a 1-0 lead. Fort Wayne responded with two in the second on run-scoring singles by Hunter Jarmon and Jeisson Rosario. After scoring a run in the fifth, the TinCaps plated a pair of runs when Jack Suwinski and Esteury Ruiz chipped in RBI-singles to extend the lead to 5-2. West Michigan scored a run in the seventh but came no closer as the TinCaps took the second game of the four-game series.
TinCaps starter Luis Patiño (5-3) allowed just one run in five innings of laboring baseball but recorded nine timely strikeouts to pick up his fifth win. "Caps starter Carson Lance (0-1) managed to work around seven base hits and five walks in just five innings in allowing three runs to take the loss in his West Michigan debut. The Whitecaps second-half record falls back to .500 at 24-24 and 60-58 overall, keeping the first potential playoff spot in the second-half Eastern Division standings. Fort Wayne improves to 54-63 on the season and 22-26 in the second half. Brock Deatherage (4-for-4) and Kody Clemens (single, double, two walks) each reached base four times for the "Caps in a losing cause.
The Whitecaps and Fort Wayne TinCaps continue their four-game series with a Monday night contest beginning at 7:05 pm. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:55 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2018 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.