Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1
Peoria, IL - The Peoria Chiefs took the lead late in the bottom of the eighth inning on a single by Nolan Gorman to defeat the Clinton LumberKings 2-1 in the second game of a four-game series on Sunday afternoon. The Chiefs improved to 29-18 in the second half and 68-49 on the season as the series continues 7:00 p.m. on Monday.
It was a scoreless game until the bottom of the fourth when the Chiefs broke through with the long ball against LumberKings starter Ray Kerr. Luken Baker cranked a two-out solo homer over the wall in left field as his second home run of the season put the Chiefs in front 1-0.
Clinton answered quickly in the top of the fifth against Chiefs starter Angel Rondon. Dimas Ojeda led off the inning with solo shot that just stayed fair down the left field line to tie the game 1-1.
The Chiefs moved ahead in the bottom of the eighth against Adonis De La Cruz. Rayder Ascanio led off with a single to left and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by JR Davis. Gorman delivered the go-ahead single to right field as Ascanio scored from second for a 2-1 lead.
Rondon took a no-decision over seven innings, allowing one run on four hits with two walks and six strikeouts while hitting one batter. Robbie Gordon (1-0) earned the win tossing one scoreless and hitless inning with one walk and two strikeouts. Whitley recorded his eighth save of the season setting down the LumberKings in order in the ninth with two strikeouts.
Notes... Gorman has hit safely in three straight games and recorded his first multi-hit game as a member of the Chiefs as he went 3-for-4...Benson has an eight-game hit streak...The Chiefs are 18-9 in day games...Plummer picked up his 14th double..Rondon has three straight no-decisions...He has gone at least six innings in all six Chiefs starts and has five quality starts...The seven innings marks his second longest career outing......The Chiefs are 61-13 when allowing four runs or less...Peoria is 8-5 against the LumberKings this season with two games left, clinching the series...Peoria won the season series last year as well...The Chiefs are 25-14 in one-run games...The series continues on Monday at 7:00 p.m. against Clinton...Monday is a Half Price Monday as fans can purchase $6.50 dugout seats, $5.50 field box seats and $4.00 lawn seats...The Chiefs will start LH Jake Dahlberg (1-1, 3.75) against Clinton RH Scott Boches (2-4, 3.28)...The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:45 p.m. on www.peoriachiefs.com/listenlive and is also available on the Peoria Chiefs Network in the Tune-In Radio App...The game is also available to subscribers on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2018
- River Bandits Blank Kernels Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Snaps Four Game Skid in Sunday Matinee - South Bend Cubs
- Gonzalez Stays Hot, Cubs Edge Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings drop pitcher's duel 2-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bats Come up Silent in 3-0 Game Two Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Noda, Lugnuts Rally Past Hot Rods, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- PatiÃ±o Strikes Out Career-High Nine in TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gorman Delivers Game-Winning Hit in 8th, Chiefs Win 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roller Walks Off, Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Fall Behind Early and Can't Recover in Loss to Kane County - Burlington Bees
- Loons Break Scoreless Tie in 9th, Edge Dragons 1-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Caballero, Sanchez Lead Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Late Homer Stalls Hot Rods in 6-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Miss Chances in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Series Finale After Crazy Walk off Rally - Burlington Bees
- Bees Fall in Extras for Third Straight Loss to Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 12 vs. West Michigan (Game 117) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.