Losing Streak Ends with Shutout Victory over Rockford
Traverse City, MI - The Pit Spitters ended their four-game losing streak with an 8-0 win over the Rockford Rivets on Monday.
This is the third shutout win for Traverse City this season, following a 3-0 win over Battle Creek on June 18 and the no-hitter over Wisconsin Rapids on July 7.
Miles Simington tripled home a pair in the first to start the scoring. It was the third game in a row the Pit Spitters would score first. But unlike the last two, they would score again.
Chris Monroe doubled home Mario Camilletti in the third, moving him into a tie for fourth place in the Northwoods League in RBI's (32). Christian Faust added an RBI single in the fifth to make it 4-0.
Jacob Marcus (2-3, 1.76) allowed just three hits through five innings. To qualify for the win, he had to convince manager Josh Rebandt to leave him in the game with two outs in the fifth. His plead worked and he went on to retire the next batter.
Tito Flores singled home two more runs in the sixth and another in the eighth. It's back-to-back games for Flores with multiple hits. His three RBI's were matched by Simington in the inning, putting the score at 8-0. Flores finished 2-3 with two walks and Simington finished 2-5.
The bullpen finished the last four innings. Max Bergmann threw a scoreless sixth and seventh. Joe Horozco struck out three in the eighth and Daniel Carter struck out two more in the ninth to preserve the shutout win.
Camilletti went 2-5 with a walk and three runs scored. His on-base streak is now at 24 games.
The two-game series concludes tomorrow at 7:05 ET/6:05 CT. Wyatt Rush (4-1, 2.92) is the expected starter. For tickets for all 2021 home games, call 231-943-0100 or visit www.pitspitters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 12, 2021
- Rox Dominate from Start to Finish, Blow out Loggers - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Hand Dock Spiders Loss - Green Bay Booyah
- Fans Get First Beer Free Wednesday Night After Pete Alonso Wins Homerun Derby - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Earn Seventh Season Victory over Mallards to Finish Home Stand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Fall Just Short in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Sweep Doubleheader over Lakeshore - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Losing Streak Ends with Shutout Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Woodchucks Collect Win in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Take Four-Game Win Streak into Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Drop Series to Fond Du Lac - Kenosha Kingfish
- Meet the 2021 Kingfish All Stars - Kenosha Kingfish
- Booyah to Host First-Half Division Winners - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Get First Win of Second Half over Bombers 9-1 - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Woodchucks Down Rivets, End Win Streak - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Turtle Creek Stadium Hosts Inaugural Concert
- Joltin' Joe Horoszko Sends Pit Spitters Back to Championship Game
- Pit Spitters Win Back-And-Forth Thriller to Advance
- Pit Spitters Loss Sets up Winner-Take-All Game Three
- Pit Spitters Open Postseason with Big Win at Home