Kingfish Drop Series to Fond Du Lac
Kenosha, WI - The Kenosha Kingfish (3-3) defeated the Fond Du Lac Dock Spiders (5-0) 9-5 at Historic Simmons Field Sunday, July 11.
The Dock Spiders struck first, putting up three runs in the first inning on three hits, one of which was a two-run home run from Ryan Lasko (Rutgers).
The Kingfish cut the lead down to one as they put up two runs in the bottom of the first off two hits and two walks, one of which was an RBI double from Cam Redding (St. Louis University).
Kenosha took the lead in the bottom of the second on three hits and two walks off of Dock Spiders starter Austin Sachen (Washington University St. Louis) who would only pitch two innings before reaching the 35 pitch limit. Redding and Luke Stephenson (Xavier) both hit RBI singles to contribute to the lead.
Neither team scored until the top of the sixth inning when the Dock Spiders scored six runs off of Kingfish reliever Harry Deliyannis (Pomona-Pitzer), all unearned. The Kingfish committed three errors in the inning to allow the Dock Spiders to take the lead 9-5.
The Kingfish picked up one run in the bottom of the seventh on a groundout from Vince Bianchina (Northwestern) that scored Justin Janas (University of Illinois).
Kenosha had an opportunity to tie it up in the bottom of the ninth as Redding hit a lead off triple and came around to score on an error from the Dock Spiders second baseman. The Kingfish effectively loaded the bases with two outs, but were unable to score another run in the inning.
Kingfish starter Bryant Bagshaw (Minot State) pitched five innings, giving up three earned runs, and Deliyannis is credited with the loss for the Kingfish. Dock Spiders reliever Garner Spoljaric (Stetson) is credited with the win after pitching three scoreless innings in relief while only giving up one hit. Alex Vera (University of Illinois) gets the long-save after throwing four innings and giving up two runs.
Redding fell a home run short of hitting for the cycle after going 4-5 with two singles, a double and a triple. He had two RBIs and scored three runs. Chase Estep (University of Kentucky) went 1-3 with two walks and an RBI and Janas went 1-4 with a walk, run scored and RBI.
The Kingfish start a road trip for four games in two days today in Battle Creek as they'll play two seven-inning doubleheaders before coming home Wednesday, July 14 to start a six-game home stand.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 12, 2021
- Rox Dominate from Start to Finish, Blow out Loggers - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Hand Dock Spiders Loss - Green Bay Booyah
- Fans Get First Beer Free Wednesday Night After Pete Alonso Wins Homerun Derby - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Earn Seventh Season Victory over Mallards to Finish Home Stand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Fall Just Short in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Sweep Doubleheader over Lakeshore - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Losing Streak Ends with Shutout Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Woodchucks Collect Win in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Take Four-Game Win Streak into Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Drop Series to Fond Du Lac - Kenosha Kingfish
- Meet the 2021 Kingfish All Stars - Kenosha Kingfish
- Booyah to Host First-Half Division Winners - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Get First Win of Second Half over Bombers 9-1 - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Woodchucks Down Rivets, End Win Streak - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.