Woodchucks Collect Win in Game 1 of Doubleheader
WAUSAU, WI - Quality starting pitching and a productive second inning at the plate gave the Wisconsin Woodchucks a 4-0 win over the Lakeshore Chinooks in Game 1 of Monday night's doubleheader.
The Chucks move to 24-17 overall in 2021, and 3-3 in the second half of the Northwoods League season.
The Woodchucks' four-run second inning was decisive. Bash Randle's RBI double scored Gino Groover and Colton Vincent, before Randle scored a plate appearance later on a fielding error. Kevin Kilpatrick's RBI single then drove home Tyler Kehoe, the final of a quartet of runs that all came with two outs.
The Chucks outhit Lakeshore 11-4 in Game 1 Monday evening.
The matchup was moved to July 12 after thunderstorms washed out a previously scheduled July 5 contest between the sides.
Starting pitcher Thomas Kane pitched five scoreless frames. He struck out nine and escaped a two-on, no-out jam in the third inning by delivering nine consecutive pitches for strikes.
Geo Camfield fired a pair of scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
Randle went 1-3 with a run and two RBI.
Kehoe was 2-3 with an RBI and a run.
Groover and Vincent were both 2-3 with a run.
Game 2 of the doubleheader between the Woodchucks and Chinooks will commence at approximately 7:30 p.m. Like the first game, it will be a seven-inning contest.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 12, 2021
- Rox Dominate from Start to Finish, Blow out Loggers - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Hand Dock Spiders Loss - Green Bay Booyah
- Fans Get First Beer Free Wednesday Night After Pete Alonso Wins Homerun Derby - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Earn Seventh Season Victory over Mallards to Finish Home Stand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Fall Just Short in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Sweep Doubleheader over Lakeshore - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Losing Streak Ends with Shutout Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Woodchucks Collect Win in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Take Four-Game Win Streak into Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Drop Series to Fond Du Lac - Kenosha Kingfish
- Meet the 2021 Kingfish All Stars - Kenosha Kingfish
- Booyah to Host First-Half Division Winners - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Get First Win of Second Half over Bombers 9-1 - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Woodchucks Down Rivets, End Win Streak - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.