Woodchucks Sweep Doubleheader over Lakeshore
WAUSAU, WI - The Wisconsin Woodchucks picked up a 3-2 win over the Lakeshore Chinooks Monday night, a doubleheader sweep-clinching win at Athletic Park over the Metro Milwaukee club.
The Chucks improve to 25-17 overall and 4-3 in the second half of 2021. The win over Lakeshore is Wisconsin's third straight and fourth in five games.
The decisive run came in the bottom of the fifth, when Bash Randle took advantage of a throwing error while trying to steal third base to come home and give the Chucks a lead that stood in the seven-inning game.
The Woodchucks kept the game tied in the fifth with a close highlight play at the plate. Catcher Louie Albrecht picked up the baseball and finished the tag out after pitcher Tyler Murrah dropped the ball attempting to apply the out on a short grounder.
Lakeshore had a pair of runs in the second inning to take a 2-0 lead. Kevin Kilpatrick answered in the bottom of the third with a two-run double, scoring Bash Randle and Tyler Kehoe.
The Woodchucks won 4-0 in Monday evening's first game in a matchup rescheduled from July 5 due to thunderstorms.
Murrah struck out 10 batters and walked just one while allowing just two runs (one earned) in five innings. He was the winning pitcher Monday.
Shane Telfer earned the save, pitching a shutout sixth and seventh innings with three strikeouts.
Randle was 1-1 with a walk and two runs.
Kilpatrick was 1-3 with a double and two RBI.
Schaffer was 1-2.
The Woodchucks and Chinooks are back in action to conclude the series Tuesday night at 6:35 p.m. It will be White Claw Wednesday at Athletic Park, where the first 250 fans to purchase a White Claw from our concession stands get a White Claw Koozie courtesy of Lee Beverage!
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 12, 2021
- Rox Dominate from Start to Finish, Blow out Loggers - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Hand Dock Spiders Loss - Green Bay Booyah
- Fans Get First Beer Free Wednesday Night After Pete Alonso Wins Homerun Derby - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Earn Seventh Season Victory over Mallards to Finish Home Stand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Fall Just Short in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Sweep Doubleheader over Lakeshore - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Losing Streak Ends with Shutout Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Woodchucks Collect Win in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Take Four-Game Win Streak into Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Drop Series to Fond Du Lac - Kenosha Kingfish
- Meet the 2021 Kingfish All Stars - Kenosha Kingfish
- Booyah to Host First-Half Division Winners - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Get First Win of Second Half over Bombers 9-1 - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Woodchucks Down Rivets, End Win Streak - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.