Mallards Fall Just Short in Wisconsin Rapids
Coming into tonight with a four-game win streak and a sweep of the Michigan road trip, the Madison Mallards (4-2) played in Wisconsin Rapids on Monday night and came up just short against the Rafters (3-4), losing by a final of 4-3.
The Rafters were hot out of the gates, putting up three runs on Mallards starter Jake Baldino (Kent State) in the first inning. Back-t0-back RBI singles from Marco Castillo and Jacob Hinderleider contributed to those three runs.
The Mallards worked their way back as Julio Cortez (USF) singled in a run in the second. Then in the 4th, Dom Toso (Richmond) had a sac-fly to bring in the second run for the Ducks.
The Rafters tacked on an insurance run in the 7th on an RBI-single from McKinley Erves, putting Wisconsin Rapids up 4-2.
That was the score heading into the ninth as the Mallards tried to mount a comeback. Cam Cratic (Missouri State) led off the ninth with a double, and he eventually scored as Alex Iadisernia (Elon) hit into a double play. Zach Bennett then got the last out and picked up the save for Wisconsin Rapids.
Cole Eigenhuis got the win for Wisconsin Rapids on the mound out of the bullpen. He pitched 3.1 innings giving up just three hits without allowing an earned run.
The Rafters have had the Mallards number so far this season. With tonight's win, the Rafters clinched the season series with Madison, and they now have won seven of nine against the Mallards.
Tonight's game was the first of a home-and-home series with Wisconsin Rapids. Tomorrow night, the Mallards and Rafters will match up at the Duck Pond at Warner Park with first pitch being scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 12, 2021
- Rox Dominate from Start to Finish, Blow out Loggers - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Hand Dock Spiders Loss - Green Bay Booyah
- Fans Get First Beer Free Wednesday Night After Pete Alonso Wins Homerun Derby - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Earn Seventh Season Victory over Mallards to Finish Home Stand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Fall Just Short in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Sweep Doubleheader over Lakeshore - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Losing Streak Ends with Shutout Victory over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Woodchucks Collect Win in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Take Four-Game Win Streak into Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Drop Series to Fond Du Lac - Kenosha Kingfish
- Meet the 2021 Kingfish All Stars - Kenosha Kingfish
- Booyah to Host First-Half Division Winners - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Get First Win of Second Half over Bombers 9-1 - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Woodchucks Down Rivets, End Win Streak - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Fall in Divisional Championship to Traverse City
- Mallards Head to Traverse City for Divisional Championship
- Mallards Sweep Dock Spiders to Advance to Divisional Championship
- Mallards Look to Clinch Series in Fond du Lac
- Turnquist Throws Gem, Leads Mallards to Game 1 Victory