LAFC Ties Minnesota United 2-2
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) played to a 2-2 draw with Minnesota United on Wednesday night at Banc of California Stadium. Carlos Vela and Tristan Blackmon scored on either side of halftime, but Minnesota got a goal late in second half stoppage time to deny LAFC the win. LAFC is now 6-5-5 on the season for 23 points, leaving it in fifth place in the MLS Western Conference.
LAFC took the lead late in the first half when Jose Cifuentes intercepted a pass near midfield and quickly played the ball forward for Vela who raced behind the Minnesota defense before clipping a right-footed shot into the net. Vela is now tied for the team lead with five goals on the season and has scored in four consecutive games dating back to July 17.
At halftime, LAFC was forced to take off center back Jesus Murillo, and less than five minutes later, the score was level. In the 49th minute, Emanuel Reynoso took a pass from Robin Lod and hit a left-footed shot past Tomas Romero from just inside the box, tying the score at 1-1.
The score would stay that way until the 77th minute when Tristan Blackmon got on the end of an Eduard Atuesta corner kick and headed it just inside the post for his first goal of the season, giving LAFC a 2-1 lead.
LAFC looked as if they would hold onto that lead and take the full three points, only for Minnesota to equalize in the fifth minute of second half stoppage time. A long ball from Jan Gregus on the right wing found Hassani Dotson at the top of the box and he took one touch to elude a defender before firing a right-footed shot into the net, tying the score at 2-2 and earning his team a share of the points.
LAFC returns to action on Wednesday, August 4 when it hosts Sporting Kansas City. That game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live locally on Bally Sports SoCal and Estrella TV.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 29, 2021
- Columbus Crew Travels to the Bronx to Face New York City FC Friday Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Announce 2021 Promotional Calendar - San Jose Earthquakes
- Toronto FC to Play Remaining 2021 Season Home Matches at BMO Field - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Will Play All Remaining Home Games in Montreal in 2021 - Club de Foot Montreal
- MLS Canadian Clubs to Host Remaining Home Matches in Canada - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Remaining 2021 Home Matches to be Played at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jesús Bueno - Philadelphia Union
- Minnesota United Announces Next Round of Ticket Sales Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Summer Spotlight with Newest Chapter of "Our SoccerÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades Dominique Badji to the Colorado Rapids - Nashville SC
- Welcome Back, Dom: Rapids Acquire Badji from Nashville - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Santiago Moreno - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Returns Home to Face Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Signs Argentine Attacking Midfielder Sebastián Driussi to Designated Player Contract - Austin FC
- Inter Miami Match at New York Red Bulls Rescheduled to Saturday, October 9 - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host United States Men's National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica on October 13 - Columbus Crew SC
- New York Red Bulls-Inter Miami CF Match Rescheduled to October 9 - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Players Collaborative Fund Unveiled with $20,000 Donation to Black Players for Change - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Ventura Alvarado - Inter Miami CF
- Late Dotson Equalizer Earns MNUFC a Point in LAFC - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Ties Minnesota United 2-2 - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Falls 2-0 to San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Acquire Forward Michee Ngalina on Loan and International Roster Slot
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin
- LAFC Adds MLS Pool Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh Ahead of Austin Match
- LAFC Signs English Goalkeeper Jamal Blackman