Timbers Acquire Midfielder Santiago Moreno
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers have acquired midfielder Santiago Moreno, it was announced today by the club. He joins the club from América de Cali of the Categoría Primera A, the top flight in Colombia. Under contract through 2025, Moreno will occupy an international and a U22 Initiative Slot. He will be added to the Timbers' roster, pending a physical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 visa.
Portland acquired the priority to Moreno from the Philadelphia Union in exchange for $50,000 General Allocation Money.
"Santiago is a talented young player, who has already showcased his qualities at the club level and in Copa Libertadores," said Gavin Wilkinson, Timbers general manager and president of soccer. "He is a player that we believe can provide an impact in multiple positions in the attack. We are excited to continue supporting his development, and see him becoming an important contributor to the club."
Moreno, 21, has played three seasons for América de Cali. The Cali, Colombia native made his professional debut in Categoría Primera A on August 25, 2019 at the age of 18, and has made 52 appearances across all competitions with club.
"There has been a lot of interest in Santiago Moreno from many teams, so the fact that he decided to come to Portland makes us feel special," said Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese. "We are all excited to have a talented player coming here that will provide us many great assets but still has room to develop, and I believe that Portland is a very good place for him to continue to grow."
In 2021, Moreno has made 26 appearances across all competitions for América de Cali, featuring in the Copa Sudamericana and Copa Libertadores tournaments. He scored in back-to-back matches in Copa Libertadores, against Atlético Mineiro (May 13) and Deportivo La Guaira (May 19), totaling a team-best six goals across all competitions in 2021.
Logging 25 appearances in 2020, the Colombian midfielder recorded three goals and two assists. Notably, Moreno scored in the first leg of the Categoría Primera A championship against Independiente Sante Fe on December 21, 2020, and helped the club to their second consecutive league title. In 2019, he appeared in 11 matches, logging one goal and one assist in Liga Dimayor play.
Transaction: Portland Timbers sign midfielder Santiago Moreno through the 2025 season, acquiring the priority to him from Philadelphia Union in exchange for $50,000 General Allocation Money. Moreno will occupy an international and a U22 Initiative Slot, pending a physical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 visa.
Date of Birth: April 21, 2000
Birthplace: Cali, Colombia
Last Club: América de Cali
Acquired: Signed July 29, 2021
Roster Designation: International and U22 Initiative Slot
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 29, 2021
- Columbus Crew Travels to the Bronx to Face New York City FC Friday Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Announce 2021 Promotional Calendar - San Jose Earthquakes
- Toronto FC to Play Remaining 2021 Season Home Matches at BMO Field - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Will Play All Remaining Home Games in Montreal in 2021 - Club de Foot Montreal
- MLS Canadian Clubs to Host Remaining Home Matches in Canada - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Remaining 2021 Home Matches to be Played at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jesús Bueno - Philadelphia Union
- Minnesota United Announces Next Round of Ticket Sales Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Summer Spotlight with Newest Chapter of "Our SoccerÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades Dominique Badji to the Colorado Rapids - Nashville SC
- Welcome Back, Dom: Rapids Acquire Badji from Nashville - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Santiago Moreno - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Returns Home to Face Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Signs Argentine Attacking Midfielder Sebastián Driussi to Designated Player Contract - Austin FC
- Inter Miami Match at New York Red Bulls Rescheduled to Saturday, October 9 - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host United States Men's National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica on October 13 - Columbus Crew SC
- New York Red Bulls-Inter Miami CF Match Rescheduled to October 9 - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Players Collaborative Fund Unveiled with $20,000 Donation to Black Players for Change - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Ventura Alvarado - Inter Miami CF
- Late Dotson Equalizer Earns MNUFC a Point in LAFC - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Ties Minnesota United 2-2 - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Defender Claudio Bravo and Midfielder Yimmi Chara Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 27
- Timbers Take Down Real Salt Lake 6-1
- Liam Ridgewell Returns to Portland to Join Timbers Broadcast Team
- Timbers Defender Larrys Mabiala Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 26
- Timbers Down LAFC 2-1 at Providence Park