Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host United States Men's National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica on October 13
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew and U.S. Soccer Federation announced today that the United States Men's National Team's 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica will be held at Lower.com Field on Wednesday, Oct. 13. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN and the Univision family of networks, with kickoff time to be determined. Due to the anticipated high demand, U.S. Soccer will once again be utilizing a weighted random draw for tickets. Information on the ticket allocation process is available here.
"We are excited to welcome the U.S. Men's National Team back to its spiritual home right here in Columbus," said Columbus Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "The American squad has a long history of success in our city and we look forward to hosting the U.S. Men's National Team at Lower.com Field. Columbus has always created an electric atmosphere for U.S. matches, helping the team earn results for some of its most important matches in history, including the four Dos a Cero matches. We are thankful to U.S. Soccer for the opportunity and look forward to once again showcasing Columbus on a global stage."
Columbus has hosted 10 World Cup Qualifiers since 2000, with the USA posting a 7-1-2 record during that span. The Stars and Stripes hold an all-time record of 8-1-3 across all competitions when playing in Columbus, dating back to a 2002 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica (October 11, 2000). 10 of those 12 contests have been FIFA World Cup qualification matches, famously including five consecutive matches against Mexico in the Hexagonal Round, with the U.S. winning the first four by a 2-0, "Dos a Cero," score line. This match against Costa Rica is set to be the first U.S. MNT contest in Columbus since the most recent United States-Mexico FIFA World Cup qualifier, back in 2016 (November 11). The U.S. holds a narrow 18-16-5 edge in the series with Costa Rica through 38 matches played since 1975. However, in World Cup Qualifying the Ticos hold a distinct advantage, including an 11-5-2 record and wins in three of the last four matches.
"We believe Columbus gives the U.S. Men's National Team the best home field advantage of any city in the country," said Greater Columbus Sports Commission Executive Director Linda Logan. "For two decades, we've been the site of historic moments for the USMNT. Hosting World Cup qualifying matches is the essence of our mission to create a world class athlete and fan experience. The energy around Lower.com Field will be unlike anything Columbus has ever seen, and we can't wait for fans from around the world to see what the Columbus sports experience is all about."
Columbus has additionally welcomed the U.S. Women's National team, most recently hosting the first round of the 2018 SheBelieves Cup and an international friendly against Sweden (November 7, 2019) at Historic Crew Stadium.
Under the new qualifying format, a total of eight teams - increased from six in previous cycles - will compete in the Final Round, with the top three teams advancing to Qatar '22. The fourth-place team will participate in an Intercontinental playoff for the last spot.
Lower.com Field has a capacity for more than 20,000 supporters and includes a 220,000 square-foot canopy that will cover all supporters during the match, providing shelter from weather conditions throughout the season. The Nordecke, the stadium's supporters' section, has a 37-degree rake - the steepest in MLS - and has a capacity for 3,364 supporters, making it the second-largest supporters' section in the League.
The October 13 match between the U.S. and Costa Rica is set to be the second international contest held at Lower.com Field, as the venue is also set to host the third edition of the Campeones Cup on September 29, when the Crew faces Liga MX side Cruz Azul. Campeones Cup is an annual North American football match contested between the reigning MLS Cup champions and the winner of the Campeon de Campeones from Liga MX. Ticket information for Campeones Cup will be announced in the coming weeks.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 29, 2021
- Columbus Crew Travels to the Bronx to Face New York City FC Friday Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Announce 2021 Promotional Calendar - San Jose Earthquakes
- Toronto FC to Play Remaining 2021 Season Home Matches at BMO Field - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Will Play All Remaining Home Games in Montreal in 2021 - Club de Foot Montreal
- MLS Canadian Clubs to Host Remaining Home Matches in Canada - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Remaining 2021 Home Matches to be Played at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jesús Bueno - Philadelphia Union
- Minnesota United Announces Next Round of Ticket Sales Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Summer Spotlight with Newest Chapter of "Our SoccerÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades Dominique Badji to the Colorado Rapids - Nashville SC
- Welcome Back, Dom: Rapids Acquire Badji from Nashville - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Santiago Moreno - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Returns Home to Face Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Signs Argentine Attacking Midfielder Sebastián Driussi to Designated Player Contract - Austin FC
- Inter Miami Match at New York Red Bulls Rescheduled to Saturday, October 9 - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host United States Men's National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica on October 13 - Columbus Crew SC
- New York Red Bulls-Inter Miami CF Match Rescheduled to October 9 - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Players Collaborative Fund Unveiled with $20,000 Donation to Black Players for Change - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Ventura Alvarado - Inter Miami CF
- Late Dotson Equalizer Earns MNUFC a Point in LAFC - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Ties Minnesota United 2-2 - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Takes on Nashville SC Tonight
- Columbus Crew Academy Celebrates Academy Signing Night at OhioHealth Performance Center
- Columbus Crew to Celebrate "On Our Sleeves Night" in Support of Nationwide Children's Hospital at Lower.com Field on Saturday
- Columbus Crew's Home, Lower.com Field, Named Winner of 2021 James B. Recchie Design Award
- Columbus Crew Announces Call-Ups for October International Window