Komets Split Thanksgiving Series with Florida
Fort Wayne, IN --- The Komets split a home Thanksgiving weekend series with the visiting Florida Everblades to earn two points for the week. Thursday the Komets fell to the Everblades 3-1, snapping a Fort Wayne five-game Thanksgiving win streak. Friday the Komets were shut out for the first time this season 4-0 at Kalamazoo.
Saturday the Komets returned home and salvaged two points out of the week with a 4-2 win over Florida to complete the holiday weekend. Saturday's win evened the season series with Florida at 1-1-0 and snapped a brief Fort Wayne two-game winless skid and three-game home winless string while stopping Florida's win streak at three games.
The Komets finished November with a 7-6-1 record for the busiest month of the season. The Komets complete week seven with a 7-7-3 record and 17 points after 17 games and hold third place in the North Division of the Atlantic Conference, trailing first-place Cincinnati (12-7-0, 24 points) by seven points.
Komet firsts -- Goaltender Cody Reichard (1-3-2) posted his first win of the season Saturday 4-2 over Florida making 39 saves on 41 shots.....Defenseman Joe Hartman notched his first pro goal in Saturday's win.
Hello Jordon -- Defenseman Jordon Southorn, acquired in a trade with Elmira for Nick Tuzzolino, made his Fort Wayne debut during the week, scoring his first points with the Komets Saturday when he scored two goals and an assist in a 4-2 win over the visiting Florida Everblades.
Komet leaders -- Mickey Lang (C) leads with 13 goals, 21 points....Brandon Marino (RW) and Mike Vaskivuo (C) lead with 13 assists each.....Vaskivuo and William Lacasse (D) lead with +4 and Kaleigh Schrock (RW) leads with 60 penalty minutes.
Players of November -- Lang led the Komets for November with 10 goals and 17 points.....Vaskivuo led with 12 assists and a +5.....Scott Fleming (LW) led Komet rookies with five goals and seven assists for 12 points. Lang, Vaskivuo and Fleming appeared in all 14 games. Goaltender Andrey Makarov (6-4-0) registered a 2.90 goals-against average and .909 save percentage in 10 appearances.
The week ahead -- The Komets head East for three games in three nights starting with a 7:05pm faceoff at Elmira Friday. Saturday the Komets skate their only game of the season at Reading at 7:05pm before returning to Elmira Sunday for a 4:05pm matinee meeting.
Next home game -- After this weekend's games at Elmira and Reading, the Komets will visit Kalamazoo Saturday, Dec. 14 at 7:30pm before returning for their next home game Sunday, Dec. 15 against the Evansville IceMen at 5pm. It will be the first of seven Komet Sunday home games this year.
Hottest Ticket In Town -- Komet Hockey single game tickets and season tickets for 2013-14 are on sale now. Single game tickets can be purchased at the Coliseum Ticket Office and online at www.ticketmaster.com. Season tickets are on sale at the Komet office, 1010 Memorial Way, Fort Wayne. For ticket information visit komets.com or call the Komet office at 260-483-0011.
Komet hockey on WOWO, and Xfinity KometCast -- The legendary Bob Chase is celebrating his 61st consecutive season behind the Komet microphone. Fans can follow the action radio rinkside on WOWO Radio AM 1190 and FM 92.3. All broadcasts, home and away, can also be heard worldwide at www.komets.com at Xfinity KometCast. Chase will not be making the trip east with the Komets this weekend. In his place, Shane Albahrani will call the action on WOWO Radio when the Komets visit Elmira Friday at 7:05pm, Reading Saturday at 7:05pm and return to Elmira for a Sunday afternoon tilt at 4:05.
Sound Off with the Komets Monday Nights on 21Alive -- The Komets, 21Alive and title sponsor PHP present Sound Off with the Komets, a live weekly televised sports program each Monday night during the Komet season at 7:30pm on WPTA TV 21Alive. The half-hour show will be televised from Champions Bar and Restaurant in downtown Fort Wayne and will feature highlights, interviews and call-ins as Komet players and personnel serve as co-hosts with 21Alive's Tommy Schoegler. Tonight, Dec. 2, Komet forward Scott Fleming will be Tommy's guest.
KOMETS ON ICE THIS WEEK--
- Friday, Dec. 6, Komets at Elmira Jackals (5-10-2, 12 points), 7:05pm -- The Komets make their first of five visits to First Arena (3,784) in Elmira this Friday. The Jackals are coming off a 1-1-1 Thanksgiving weekend and are 2-5-2 in their last nine games. Elmira is idle this week until they host the Komets Friday.
- Saturday, Dec. 7, Komets at Reading Royals (10-6-0, 20 points), 7:05pm -- The Komets will make their only visit of the season to Reading's Santander Arena (7,160) this Saturday. Last year the Komets dropped a 6-4 decision in their only trip of the season to Reading on Dec. 14. The Royals doubled-up the Komets 4-2 when they made their first visit of the season to Fort Wayne Nov. 23. After Saturday's game at Reading, the Royals will visit Fort Wayne for a pair Dec. 20 and 21 to complete the season series. Reading is 4-2-0 in their last six games and will skate at Wheeling Friday before hosting the Komets Saturday.
- Sunday, Dec. 8, Komets at Elmira Jackals, 4:05pm -- The Komets will complete their Eastern trip Sunday with a return visit to Elmira. It's the fourth of nine Sunday road games this season. The Komets will make a return visit to Elmira Jan. 24 for three games in three nights.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2013
- Nailers Introduce Wheeling Island Nailer Nights - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekly Weather Report: the Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Complete Home Stretch Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears End November with 12-6-0-1 Record - Orlando Solar Bears
- Teddy Bear Goal Scorer Kale Kessy Reassigned to Oklahoma City - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Blades Sign MacDonald, DeHart - Florida Everblades
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Radio Recon's Ready for a New Concept: a Coach's Show with the Head Coach - Reading Royals
- Stevenson Returns to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Sign Forward Ryan Cruthers - Reading Royals
- C.J. Severyn Loaned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Orlando Solar Bears
- Condors Weekly: Big Crowd, Big Wins and Lots of Teddy Bears - Bakersfield Condors
- Goaltenders stealing the show - ECHL
- Road Warriors' New Alternate Jersey to Make Season Debut - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Komets Split Thanksgiving Series with Florida - Fort Wayne Komets
- Get a Free Royals' "Ugly Holiday Sweater" Special Jersey - Reading Royals
- Gwinnett Kicks Off The Month With Games Against Kalamazoo and Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Take Sleigh Ride into December as #1 Team in ECHL - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday
- Komets Launch 68th Season Saturday; Arich Rival Wings Visit for Opener
- Komets Make Roster Moves
- Komets Open 2019 Training Camp
- Komets Ink Two-Time Kelly Cup Champ St. Amant