Weekly Weather Report: the Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder
THUNDER OVERALL RECORD : 11-6-0-2, 24 points (2nd Pacific/3rd Western Conference)
LAST WEEK : 0-2-0-1
THIS WEEK'S OPPONENTS : (all times PT)
AWAY : Wednesday, Dec. 4 (6:10 p.m.) at IDAHO STEELHEADS
AWAY : Friday, Dec. 6 (6:10 p.m.) vs. IDAHO STEELHEADS
AWAY : Saturday, Dec. 7 (6:10 p.m.) at IDAHO STEELHEADS
Listen Live on StocktonThunder.com and Spreaker
Watch Live on AmericaOne
The Stockton Thunder continues their season long 5-game road trip when they take off for Idaho to take on the Idaho Steelheads in a three game set. The Thunder have already played the Steelheads twice this season with the Thunder coming away with two wins at Stockton Arena.
WEEK IN REVIEW :
STK 2 - ONT 3 (SO) (11/27/13) : Recently named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week Brian Foster got his first start against the Reign and it made a difference. The game was a real goaltending dual between Foster and Ontario's Michael Hutchinson. The game would go to a shootout where Ontario would score in the eighth round to put the pressure on the Thunder. Coach Kromm sent out J.P. Burkemper who deked around Hutchinson, however the athletic netminder reached out with the glove hand to rob Burkemper and win the game for the Reign. Despite the shootout loss, the Thunder were on a 6-game point streak.
STK 1 - ONT 4 (11/29/13) : Game 15 of 16 during the month of November didn't get off to the best of starts after Ontario secured an early lead. However, Garet Hunt found some space in the slot and received a pass from Andrew Clark for his second goal in two games. The second period didn't go the way of the Thunder as the Reign scored 3 goals in the second period.
STK 3 - BAK 6 (11/30/13) : The November finale didn't start well for the Thunder either as just 33 seconds into the game, Kale Kessey scored on Bakersfield's Teddy Bear Toss Night. It turned out to be the start of a wild seven goal first period as the Condors ended the period with four on the scoreboard and the Thunder added 3 goals on just 4 shots. Brayden Irwin scored two goals, including a shorthanded tally, and Joey Martin scored the other. Condors netminder Tyler Bunz wouldn't return in the second period and the Thunder wouldn't score again as the Condors added a goal in the second, and third to send the Thunder to their second straight regulation loss.
2013-14 TEAM LEADERS :
Points - Andrew Clark, Ryan Hayes (17)
Goals - Brayden Irwin (7)
Assists - Ryan Constant (13)
Plus/Minus - Ryan Constant, James Henry (+9)
Penalty Minutes - Mathieu Gagnon (50)
2013-14 GOALTENDING LEADERS :
Games Played - Brian Foster (13)
Wins - Brian Foster (9)
Goals Against Average - Brian Foster (2.20)
Save Percentage - Brian Foster (.929)
Shutouts - Brian Foster (1)
UPCOMING MILESTONES :
-Ryan Hayes is 7 points away from 150 in his ECHL career and 17 games away from 200
-Jason Clark is 9 games away from 50 in his ECHL career
-Brian Foster is 7 games away from 100 and 10 wins shy of 50 in his ECHL career
-Matt Bergland is 14 points away from 50 in his ECHL career
-Shawn Boutin is 12 games away from 100 in his ECHL career
-Brayden Irwin is 13 games away from 100 in his ECHL career
-Garet Hunt is 16 games shy of 350 in his ECHL career
-Corey Trivino is 19 games away from 100 in his ECHL career
RECENTLY ACCOMPLISHED MILESTONES :
-Michal Spacek scored his first professional point when he picked up an assist on the tying goal 11/27
-Landon Oslanski scored his first professional goal when he fired a clapper from the point on 11/20/13 against J.P. Anderson of San Francisco
TEAM NOTES :
-The Thunder have the top power play unit in the league having converted 24.6% of their chances. On home ice, the Thunder's PP has struck 41.4% of the time.
-Stockton is tied with Ontario for the league lead in major penalties with 26.
-The Thunder average 16 penalty minutes per game while opponents are averaging 14.5 penalty minutes per game.
-The Thunder are 8-3-0-1 when scoring the game's first goal. They've scored first in 12 of 19 games played. The team is 8-0-0-1 when leading after two periods.
-The Thunder are fifth in the league in goals for with 60. That ranks them just behind the Everblades (75), Stingrays (64), Cyclones (62), and Reign (62).
-The Thunder are averaging about 29 shots per game while allowing about 32 shots per game. The team has posted an 8-1-0-0 record when they've outshot opponents and a 2-5-0-2 record when they've been outshot by opponents.
-Stockton has played very well in close games, and, obviously games that they've scored a lot of goals. The Thunder are 6-1-0-2 in one-goal games, 1-1-0-0 in two-goal games, and 4-0-0-0 in games where the team led by four-or-more-goals. However, the Thunder have yet to be on the winning side of a three-goal game as they are 0-4-0-0.
-Only two players on the active roster have yet to register a point (not including goalies). Eight players have picked up over 10 points (A. Clark, Hayes, Constant, Martin, Trivino, Irwin, Hunt and Oslanski)
-Andrew Clark leads the team with 57 shots on goal. His 17 points ranks him 2nd among rookies and tied 15th in the league in points
-In addition, Andrew Clark is one of only two rookies to be in the Top 20 point getters' in the league along with Idaho's William Rapuzzi.
-Brian Foster is tied third in the league with 9 wins. It took 12 games played on the season for Foster to not win a game or pick up a point.
-Brayden Irwin scored the first shorthanded goal of the season for the Thunder on 11/30 against the Bakersfield Condors.
-Ryan Constant is 1st in the league in points among defenseman with 16.
-Landon Oslanski is tied 5th in the league in points among defenseman with 11. He ranks tied 4th among defenseman in assists with 9.
-Also, Landon Oslanski currently holds a streak of 6 straight road contests with a point, all assists. He has picked up 6 assists in the last 5 road games dating back to November 8th.
-Mathieu Gagnon is 1st in the league with 8 fighting majors
INJURY REPORT :
-Alex MacLeod remains on the 21-day IR with a lower body injury (Placed on IR 10/17/13).
-Ryan Hayes was retroactively placed on the 21-day IR with an upper body injury 11/27/13.
LAST WEEK'S ROSTER MOVES :
FROZEN MOMENT :
This moment came on November 29th against Ontario after Captain Garet Hunt scored his second goal in as many games.
FAN PICTURE OF THE WEEK :
This fun fan picture came in that same game November 29th game against the Reign. Could be a high five out of love, could be curiosity, or it could be fear, but this young fan made us smile as he says hi to Thor!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2013
- Nailers Introduce Wheeling Island Nailer Nights - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekly Weather Report: the Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Complete Home Stretch Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears End November with 12-6-0-1 Record - Orlando Solar Bears
- Teddy Bear Goal Scorer Kale Kessy Reassigned to Oklahoma City - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Blades Sign MacDonald, DeHart - Florida Everblades
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Radio Recon's Ready for a New Concept: a Coach's Show with the Head Coach - Reading Royals
- Stevenson Returns to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Sign Forward Ryan Cruthers - Reading Royals
- C.J. Severyn Loaned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Orlando Solar Bears
- Condors Weekly: Big Crowd, Big Wins and Lots of Teddy Bears - Bakersfield Condors
- Goaltenders stealing the show - ECHL
- Road Warriors' New Alternate Jersey to Make Season Debut - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Komets Split Thanksgiving Series with Florida - Fort Wayne Komets
- Get a Free Royals' "Ugly Holiday Sweater" Special Jersey - Reading Royals
- Gwinnett Kicks Off The Month With Games Against Kalamazoo and Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Take Sleigh Ride into December as #1 Team in ECHL - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls