Elmira Jackals Weekly
ELMIRA, N.Y. - December 2, 2013 - The Elmira Jackals earned three of a possible six standings points for the second straight week last week and, after a win last Saturday, look to string together consecutive home wins for the first time this season. They welcome Fort Wayne to First Arena Friday and Sunday this week.
Last Week's Record: 1-1-1
Overall Record: 5-10-2; third place Atlantic Division, 13th place Eastern Conference
Goals - Artem Demkov: 10
Assists - X Philip-Michael Devos: 8
Points - Artem Demkov: 12
+/- - Kyle Bushee: +7
PIMs - Jordan Pietrus: 33
PPG - Artem Demkov: 3
SHG - Artem Demkov/Jordan Pietrus/Jakub Culek: 1
Wins - Scott Greenham: 5
GAA - Scott Greenham: 2.57
SVP - Scott Greenham: .921
X not on active roster
Previewing the Upcoming Week:
12/6 & 12/8 vs. Fort Wayne - 7:05 p.m. & 4:05 p.m., Home vs. FTW 0-0-0, Away vs. FTW 0-0-0
Fort Wayne is one of Elmira's most common home opponents this year, and the Komets make their first of five appearances at First Arena this weekend. The Jackals get a rare Saturday off between the Friday and Sunday meetings with the Komets, while Fort Wayne is making its second road trip out of its division for a three-in-three that includes a Saturday showdown with the Royals in Reading. The Jackals went 2-1-0 against Fort Wayne last year with both wins coming at home. The Komets enter this week ranked eighth in the Eastern Conference with a 7-7-3 record and 17 points. While the Jackals and Komets haven't faced each other on the ice this season, they made news on the transaction front when the teams swapped defensemen on November 25. The Jackals acquired the Komets' then-captain, and 2012-13 All-ECHL Second Team member, Nick Tuzzolino in exchange for Jordon Southorn.
12/2/13 - Practice at First Arena, 10:30 a.m.
12/3/13 - Practice at First Arena, 10:30 a.m.
"Jackals Insider" presented by Simmons-Rockwell radio show live from SplitRock Brewing
Company inside First Arena, 7:00 - 7:30 p.m. Guest Kyle Bushee
12/4/13 - Practice at First Arena, 10:30 a.m.
12/5/13 - Practice at First Arena, 10:30 a.m.
12/6/13 - Pregame Skate at First Arena, 10:00 a.m.
Jackals vs. Komets, 7:05 p.m. - Teddy Bear Toss
12/7/13 - Off
12/8/13 - Jackals vs. Komets, 4:05 p.m. - Postgame Skate With the Jackals
Times on the day-by-day schedule are subject to change. For media members planning to cover practices please call or email Ray Schmitt in advance to confirm times.
Jackals Broadcast Information
All Elmira Jackals broadcasts are carried on WGMM 98.7 FM. Fans can also access live streaming of the broadcast online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet at www.jackalshockey.com. America One provides pay-per-view internet TV broadcasts of all Jackals games as well. Check out how you can watch the Jackals on America One by clicking here. All Jackals broadcasts begin 15 minutes prior to faceoff with the "Snap Fitness Pregame Show."
Recapping Last Week:
11/27 at Reading: SOL 3-4
The Jackals were faced with a two goal deficit with less than half of the third period remaining in last Wednesday's game in Reading. Despite the long odds the Jackals picked up goals from Matt Carter and Jordan Pietrus to tie the game and force overtime. Like heavyweight fighters, the teams traded good scoring opportunities inside the final 30 seconds of overtime but no one could produce the winning score. The Royals bested the Jackals 2-1 in the breakaway competition to earn the bonus point.
11/29 vs. Wheeling: L 1-3
Elmira had dropped the first four contests with Wheeling entering Saturday's match-up and was unable to snap the streak on home ice. Wheeling went up by two on first-period goals by Anton Zlobin and Tyler Fernandez. Elmira went to work chipping away at the deficit with 16 second-period shots and Rob Bellamy was able to stuff a rebound past Wheeling's Mike Condon to halve the deficit. But Sahir Gill struck early in the third for an insurance goal that put the Nailers out of reach.
11/30 vs. Cincinnati: W 2-1
The Jackals tied a season high for shots in a game with 42 against Cincinnati's Michael Houser last Saturday and they were rewarded for their effort with a 2-1 win. Rob Bellamy and Artem Demkov tallied just over three minutes apart in the first period to provide all the offense the Jackals would need. Scott Greenham stopped 28 of 29 shots over the final two periods, and the Jackals went 8-for-8 on the penalty kill to shore up the victory.
* Seven of Elmira's 11 games in the month of December are played away from First Arena. That number is tied with November for the most road games the Jackals play in a month this season. The Jackals have two road wins in nine tries this year, and their last road win was on November 8 at Florida.
* Jordan Pietrus led the Jackals with seven assists in the month of November. He ranks second on the club, first among active skaters, with seven helpers through 17 games. The third-year Jackal is also 12 games away from tying Chaz Johnson for the most ECHL games played as a Jackal (160).
* After surrendering just one goal in last Saturday's 2-1 win over Cincinnati the Jackals have given up the fifth fewest goals on home ice in the Eastern Conference (21). Their current team goals-against average at home is 2.62 and if they maintain that pace over the course of the season they would rank first in the team's ECHL history.
* With seven points (2 goals, 5 assists) through 14 games, Jackals defenseman Kyle Bushee is on pace for a career year in points. The sixth-year pro has topped 30 points in two of his last three years and, if he maintains his current pace would surpass 30 in back-to-back years for the first time as a pro.
# # #
UPCOMING FIRST ARENA EVENTS:
Friday, December 6: Elmira Jackals vs. Fort Wayne, 7:05 p.m. Teddy Bear Toss. Bring a new stuffed animal to the game and throw it onto the ice when the Jackals score their first goal! All stuffed animals will be donated to local children's charities. Click here to order tickets.
Saturday, December 7: Lee Greenwood & Crystal Gayle Christmas Concert, 7:00 p.m. Click here to order tickets.
Sunday, December 9: Elmira Jackals vs. Fort Wayne, 5:05 p.m. Bring your skates for the postgame skate with the Jackals. Click here to order tickets.
Wednesday, December 11: Elmira Jackals vs. Florida Everblades, 7:05 p.m. Willowcreek Wednesday. You could be a lucky contestant to compete for free golf at intermission! Click here to order tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2013
- Nailers Introduce Wheeling Island Nailer Nights - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekly Weather Report: the Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Complete Home Stretch Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears End November with 12-6-0-1 Record - Orlando Solar Bears
- Teddy Bear Goal Scorer Kale Kessy Reassigned to Oklahoma City - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Blades Sign MacDonald, DeHart - Florida Everblades
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Radio Recon's Ready for a New Concept: a Coach's Show with the Head Coach - Reading Royals
- Stevenson Returns to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Sign Forward Ryan Cruthers - Reading Royals
- C.J. Severyn Loaned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Orlando Solar Bears
- Condors Weekly: Big Crowd, Big Wins and Lots of Teddy Bears - Bakersfield Condors
- Goaltenders stealing the show - ECHL
- Road Warriors' New Alternate Jersey to Make Season Debut - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Komets Split Thanksgiving Series with Florida - Fort Wayne Komets
- Get a Free Royals' "Ugly Holiday Sweater" Special Jersey - Reading Royals
- Gwinnett Kicks Off The Month With Games Against Kalamazoo and Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Take Sleigh Ride into December as #1 Team in ECHL - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.