Condors Weekly: Big Crowd, Big Wins and Lots of Teddy Bears
CONDORSTOWN - The Bakersfield Condors have won three of their last four and four of their last six, including a thrilling 6-3 triumph over Stockton Saturday on Teddy Bear Toss Night in front of over 8,400 fans. Bakersfield holds a 5-12-0-1 record, with 11 points in the standings.
The Condors trail 8th place Las Vegas - who they will battle with twice this weekend - by two points. They also sit just three points out of 6th place, which is currently occupied by both the Utah Grizzlies and San Francisco Bulls.
Last Week: Back-to-back victories
The Condors started the week with a home loss against San Francisco on Tuesday, but returned the favor with a 5-2 win in The City by the Bay on Wednesday and also picked up a 6-3 victory over Stockton on Saturday
Team Captain Joel Broda racked up a 2g-2a effort in Wednesday's victory on the road, while five players had multiple-point games in Saturday's triumph.
NOTES: The Condors have held their opponents to under 30 shots in 10 consecutive games. Saturday's 16 shots allowed was one shot more than the team record.After starting the season with just two assists in his first 11 games, LW Chris Collins now has 6g-3a-9pts in his last seven contests.F Ryan Watson played in his first game in over a calendar year Wednesday night. After being sidelined 5 games into the 2012-13 season with Utah, he signed with Bakersfield and made his debut in San Francisco, and registered five shots, with 1g-1a.After scoring 2 or fewer goals in 10 of the previous 11 matches, the Condors have scored 11 goals in their last two games. D Wes Cunningham is tied for 8th in scoring among ECHL defensemen. His eight assists is also tied for 6th.The Condors have the 4th best penalty kill on the road this season. Bakersfield has given up just three PPG in 40 opportunities (92.5%). At home, however, they are last, at 77.1%.Bakersfield ranks 5th in the ECHL with an average attendance of 5,553.
TEDDY BEAR TOSS FAST FACTS
Saturday saw the fastest goal in TBT history, just 33 seconds into the game. The previous record of 73 seconds was scored last season.LW Kale Kessy is the youngest player to score the TBT goal, at just 20 years oldKessy is the cousin of U.S. Olympian Jen Kessy, who came to a Condors game last season and played volleyball on ice.The 7,477 stuffed animals was the fourth largest all-time. The crowd of 8,408 was the 7th largest TBT crowd all-time, and the 9th largest crowd in team history.The all-time teddy bear total is now 88,209. The all-time TBT attendance figure is 121,066.7 of the top 10 crowds in Condors history have been TBT.The TBT goal has come in the first period 10 times in 15 seasons. It has come in the first seven minutes of the game 7 times. (So take our word for it... GET HERE EARLY NEXT SEASON!!!)
Points: Collins - 11
Goals: Collins - 6
Assists: Cunningham - 8
Penalty Minutes: Abney - 37
+/-: Watson - +2
Wins: Pickard, Bunz - 2
GAA: Pickard - 2.51
Save pct: Pickard - .885
Saturday, Dec. 7 vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - 7 p.m.
Undefeated MMA star Daniel Cormier will meet fans, sign autographs and pose for pics in the Condors Photo Booth.See a live MMA performance on the ice during the first intermission.Sponsored by My45 and KiX 92.1Prior to the game, Season Ticket Holders are welcome to attend a "Chalk Talk" in the Bank Room of the arena, starting at 5:45.
Tune In: Friday night they travel to Las Vegas for a 7:05 p.m. face off against the WranglersAll games, home and away, can be heard on Fox Sports Radio 970 AM (www.foxsports970am.com), through your mobile device on iHeartRadio, or pay-per-view online at www.AmericaOneSports.com. "Condors Countdown" starts 15 minutes prior to the drop of the puck."Condors Unleashed" video webcast airs Wednesdays from Noon - 1 p.m. on www.Bakersfield.com and also audio simulcast on Fox Sports Radio 970."Condors Insider" weekly radio show airs live every Thursday from 4 - 5 p.m. on Fox Sports Radio 970.
SAVE OVER 20% WITH A HOLIDAY 4-PACK
Choose four upcoming games and save over 20% on box office ticket prices with a Condors Holiday 4-Pack. These 4-Packs make great stocking stuffers and are the perfect give for the person in your life who likes to have FUN!! (They are also perfect for the person that you want to take you to Condors games....)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2013
- Nailers Introduce Wheeling Island Nailer Nights - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekly Weather Report: the Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Complete Home Stretch Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears End November with 12-6-0-1 Record - Orlando Solar Bears
- Teddy Bear Goal Scorer Kale Kessy Reassigned to Oklahoma City - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Blades Sign MacDonald, DeHart - Florida Everblades
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Radio Recon's Ready for a New Concept: a Coach's Show with the Head Coach - Reading Royals
- Stevenson Returns to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Sign Forward Ryan Cruthers - Reading Royals
- C.J. Severyn Loaned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Orlando Solar Bears
- Condors Weekly: Big Crowd, Big Wins and Lots of Teddy Bears - Bakersfield Condors
- Goaltenders stealing the show - ECHL
- Road Warriors' New Alternate Jersey to Make Season Debut - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Komets Split Thanksgiving Series with Florida - Fort Wayne Komets
- Get a Free Royals' "Ugly Holiday Sweater" Special Jersey - Reading Royals
- Gwinnett Kicks Off The Month With Games Against Kalamazoo and Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Take Sleigh Ride into December as #1 Team in ECHL - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Adventist Health Named Presenting Sponsor of 2019 Condors Playoffs
- Condors Claim Top Spot in Western Conference with 3-2 Win
- Condors Capture Pacific Division Regular Season Title
- Condors Host Fan Appreciation Night with Thousands of Prizes Tonight
- Benson and Starrett Named to 2018-19 AHL Second All-Star Team