Komets Home Opener Saturday vs Kalamazoo; Split Season Opening Weekend
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets will host their 67th home opener this Saturday when the Kalamazoo Wings visit at 7:30pm. The Komets have won four straight home openers and are 42-18-1-5 when opening their home slate at the Memorial Coliseum after doubling-up the Toledo Walleye 4-2 in the home opener last year.
The Komets split their season-opening weekend, scoring a 3-1 win in the season opener at Indy Friday night to extend their season-opening win streak to five games. Justin Hodgman led the Komets with a goal and two assists. Marco Roy opened the campaign with a marker and forward Taylor Crunk scored his first career game winning goal. Netminder Zach Fucale earned the win making 28 saves on 29 shots and was named first-star of the game.
Saturday the Komets fell 5-2 in Cincinnati's home opener. Anthony Petruzzelli and Jamie Schaafsma scored for the Komets while Aidan Muir dished his first ECHL career point (assist). Goaltender Fucale suffered the loss in his 59th career ECHL game stopping 23 of 27 shots. The Komets continued their success on penalty kill, stopping four Cincinnati power plays for a success streak of 12 straight penalty kills.
Muir, Kevin Miller, Brandon Morley and Garret Ross made their ECHL debuts Friday. Hodgman, Ross and Ryan Lowney each had points in both games played.
The week ahead
Friday, Oct. 19, Komets at Kalamazoo, 7:30pm-- The Wings will celebrate their home opener after starting the season with an 8-4 loss at Indy Saturday night. It will be the first of 13 meetings this season against the old arch rival Wings. Last year the Komets were 1-4-1 in six meetings with Kalamazoo.
Saturday, Oct. 20, Kalamazoo at Komets, 7:30pm-- The home-and-home weekend continues with Kalamazoo Saturday night on Sweetwater Ice in Fort Wayne. It's the first of 13 Saturday home games for the Komets. It will be Kalamazoo's seventh visit for the celebrated Fort Wayne home game. The last time the Wings made the trip to a Fort Wayne home opener was in 2015 when the Komets scored a 3-1 victory. Fort Wayne is 2-2-1-1 when Kalamazoo visits for a home opener.
Free magnetic schedules Saturday-- Fans are encouraged to arrive early Saturday night for the pregame festivities. Magnetic schedules, courtesy 3 Rivers Federal Credit Union, will be given away to first 5,000 fans through the doors and many of the Komet Legends will be introduced prior to opening faceoff. The 36-game home schedule is filled with many affordable ticket programs and discount plans including Kids Seat Free Nights, special Family 4-Pack Nights, two Report Card Nights, Marathon Fill-Up Card Nights each Friday, Deuces Wild Wednesdays and Sunday night post-game free skates. Returning is the popular Season Ticket Recycling Nights for season ticket holders and more. For game dates featuring all of the promotions and specials pick up a free handy pocket schedule at the game or at many locations around the Fort Wayne area.
Komet Hockey Tickets-- Single game tickets for all 36 Komet regular season home games are on sale at the Coliseum Ticket Office. Season Tickets also remain on sale at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way. For more information visit Komets.com or call 260-483-0011.
Komet Hockey on WOWO-- Fans can follow Komet hockey action again this year with Shane Albahrani calling the play-by-play on WOWO Radio AM 1190 and FM 107.5, and streaming on the web at Komets.com, courtesy OmniSource.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 15, 2018
- Former Maverick McAdam Recalled by Maple Leafs - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - October 15 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Mariners Play Two Home Games as Part of Busy Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, October 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Weekly, October 15th - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Season Underway - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly: Jersey Retirement Highlights Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Trade for F Alex Roos - Reading Royals
- Roos Traded to Reading - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 15 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 1 - Indy Fuel
- This Week in Utah Grizzlies Hockey - Utah Grizzlies
- Boston Sends Two Forwards to Atlanta, Glads Sign One - Atlanta Gladiators
- Komets Home Opener Saturday vs Kalamazoo; Split Season Opening Weekend - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Monday Report: October 15 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 15 - Tulsa Oilers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Week 15 Yields Three Points for Komets; Seven-Game Road Tour Starts Friday
- Komets Acquire Veteran Defenseman Verpaelst
- Komets Hall of Fame to Expand; Emrick, Schrock to be Inducted into Class of 2020
- Komets Collect Two Points for Week 14; Visit Cincinnati Friday, Toledo Here Saturday
- Komets Announce Roster Moves