Mavs Monday Report: October 15
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks emerged 1-0 through the opening weekend, earning a 5-1 win over the Allen Americans to begin the season.
Here's a look back at last week and a peek at what is yet to come this week in Mavericks hockey.
Last Week's Results
Friday, Oct. 12 - vs. Allen, 5-1 W - Postgame Snapshots
This Week's Schedule
Saturday, Oct. 20 - at Rapid City, 8:05 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 21 - at Rapid City, 4:05 p.m.
Mountain Division Standings
1. Utah Grizzlies - 4 points - 2-0-0-0
2. Tulsa Oilers - 3 points - 1-0-0-1
3. Idaho Steelheads - 3 points - 1-1-0-1
4. Kansas City Mavericks - 2 points - 1-0-0-0
5. Allen Americans - 2 points - 1-1-0-0
6. Wichita Thunder - 2 points - 1-1-0-0
7. Rapid City Rush - 0 points - 0-2-0-0
Mavericks Team Leaders
Goals - VanWormer/Cooper/Breton/Carzo/David Dziurzynski (1)
Assists - VanWormer/Ernst (2), Cooper/Robertson/Widman (1)
Points - VanWormer (3), Cooper/Ernst (2)
PIM - David Dziurzynski (4), Ernst/Carzo (2)
Wins - Schneider (1)
GAA - Schneider (1.00)
SVP - Schneider (.952)
Friday's game marked the return from extended injury layoffs for forwards Rocco Carzo and Justin Breton. Both players found the back of the net - Carzo in the first period and Breton in the second - to complete their comebacks from lower body injuries a year ago. Carzo played in just 12 games last season due to an ACL injury while Breton was on pace for a career year until Jan. 6, when he went out for the season.
Off The Schneids
Nick Schneider stood out in his professional debut, stopping 20 of 21 pucks en route to a comfortable win for the home team. The Flames prospect completed his junior career last season with the WHL's Calgary Hitmen while playing in a remarkable 61 games between the pipes for the club. Schneider has 10 games of AHL experience under his belt already despite being just 21 years old.
The Mavericks pushed the pace throughout the game on Friday, pulling away in a second-period onslaught that included three goals to earn some separation heading into the third and final frame. Kansas City had gotten off to fast starts in each of its preseason contests at Allen before allowing the Americans to come back and eventually win each game.
Having Flash Backs
Jared VanWormer finished the 2017-18 season as the ECHL's top power play threat, ending up with a league-best 14 power play goals. He picked up this year where he left off, lighting the lamp on the man-advantage in the third period of Friday's game.
First One Done
Friday's game marked the Mavericks debut for 10 players and a return for one (Darian Dziurzynski), notably the first game for KC for five of the team's six defensemen and for Schneider.
For all the latest on the Mavericks, follow the team on Twitter (@KC_Mavericks), Instagram (kcmavericks), Facebook (Kansas City Mavericks) and Snapchat (KCMavericks), download the team's free mobile app (Kansas City Mavericks) and keep checking in to KCMavericks.com.
About the Kansas City Mavericks: The Mavericks are members of the ECHL- the Premier 'AA' Hockey League in North America. Founded in 2009, the Mavericks are entering their landmark 10th season in team history. The Mavericks won the Brabham Cup after posting a league-leading record of 52-15-5 during the 2015-16 ECHL season and have been honored with multiple community and league awards including the Harry S. Truman Special Community Service Recognition Award, the Bud Poile Governors' Cup (CHL), and the CHL Franchise of the Year Award for four consecutive seasons.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 15, 2018
- Former Maverick McAdam Recalled by Maple Leafs - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - October 15 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Mariners Play Two Home Games as Part of Busy Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, October 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Weekly, October 15th - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Season Underway - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly: Jersey Retirement Highlights Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Trade for F Alex Roos - Reading Royals
- Roos Traded to Reading - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 15 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 1 - Indy Fuel
- This Week in Utah Grizzlies Hockey - Utah Grizzlies
- Boston Sends Two Forwards to Atlanta, Glads Sign One - Atlanta Gladiators
- Komets Home Opener Saturday vs Kalamazoo; Split Season Opening Weekend - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Monday Report: October 15 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 15 - Tulsa Oilers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Take Wild Tilt at Florida, Win 5-4 in OT
- Mavericks Comeback Effort Thwarted by Early Deficit in Florida, Fall 5-3
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss
- Mavs Shutout for First Time All Season, Lose 4-0 to Indy
- Mavs Monday: KC Continues to Roll with Winning Weekend