Swamp Rabbits Weekly
Heading into Opening Weekend, the Greenville Swamp Rabbits had a tough test on their hands. The Toledo Walleye, who had won 50 or more games in three of the last four seasons as one of the premier powerhouses in the ECHL, came to the Upstate as Greenville's first opponent. The Walleye ran into a buzzsaw of scoring in the second period, as the Swamp Rabbits connected for three goals on 11 shots on goal, and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Austen Brassard, Chris Izmirlian and Johno May all connected for Greenville in an exciting second period that featured five goals overall. Toledo bounced back with two in the second, and one more in the third to draw even. A.J. Jenks ended the game at the 3:17 mark of overtime on a 4-on-3 power play.
Greenville bounced back on night two in earnest. The Swamp Rabbits allowed the first goal of the game, but response came in the form of goals from Stephen Pierog and May to give the home team a 2-1 lead heading into the third period. As they did the night before, the Walleye tied it, but the Swamp Rabbits got the last laugh overall to pick up the victory. Brassard connected for his second goal of the weekend with under five minutes to play, the game-winning goal, and May put it away with the empty-netter with about 30 seconds to play, and Greenville exited the weekend with three out of a possible four standings points against a league powerhouse heading into a critical weekend.
10/12 vs. Toledo - 4-3 OTL
10/13 vs. Toledo - 4-2 W
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Johno May - 2 GP | 3 goals, 10 shots on goal, 2 PPG
Swamp Rabbits forward Johno May has played in only 10 games in his professional career, but in those games, he has posted 5 goals and 4 assists. 3 of those 5 goals came last weekend against the Toledo Walleye, with two of them coming on the power play. His first goal came on Friday, and his next two on Saturday. He also led the Swamp Rabbits with 10 shots on goal on the weekend, which is surprisingly not tops in the league. He trails Idaho's Spencer Naas (17) and Brady Norrish (14), and Brampton's Erik Bradford (13).
It was a good weekend to hold the last name Brassard. Forward Austen Brassard posted a goal on Opening Night, shorthanded, and added a goal and an assist on night two, including the game-winner on Saturday night. Defenseman J.C. Brassard started his season with two assists on Opening Night.
Goaltender Garrett Bartus was a busy bee in goal this past weekend. His 64 saves rank third-most in the league, and his sparkling performance of 30 saves and a .938 save percentage on Saturday, led the way for the Swamp Rabbits to pick up the win.
Head coach Kevin Kerr picked up his first win behind the bench of the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, his first in the ECHL, and his 95th win as a professional.
Six players had multi-point weekends for the Swamp Rabbits, showcasing a stable scoring that will be tough to stop all season. The Swamp Rabbits have not scored fewer than three goals in four games, dating back to preseason.
Opening Night proved to be one for the record books. 10,037 fans attended the game on Friday night, which set a new franchise record.
Friday, October 19 | @ Atlanta Gladiators | 7:35 p.m.
Watch | Listen
Saturday, October 20 | @ South Carolina Stingrays | 7:05 p.m.
Watch | Listen
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Greenville Swamp Rabbits (1-0-1-0) - 3 pts
Jacksonville Icemen (1-0-0-0) - 2 pts
Atlanta Gladiators (1-0-0-0) - 2 pts
Norfolk Admirals (1-0-0-0) - 2 pts
Florida Everblades (1-1-0-0) - 2 pts
South Carolina Stingrays (0-1-0-0) - 0 pts
Orlando Solar Bears (0-1-0-0) - 0 pts
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 15, 2018
- Former Maverick McAdam Recalled by Maple Leafs - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - October 15 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Mariners Play Two Home Games as Part of Busy Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, October 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Weekly, October 15th - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Season Underway - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly: Jersey Retirement Highlights Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Trade for F Alex Roos - Reading Royals
- Roos Traded to Reading - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 15 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 1 - Indy Fuel
- This Week in Utah Grizzlies Hockey - Utah Grizzlies
- Boston Sends Two Forwards to Atlanta, Glads Sign One - Atlanta Gladiators
- Komets Home Opener Saturday vs Kalamazoo; Split Season Opening Weekend - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Monday Report: October 15 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 15 - Tulsa Oilers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.