Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 1
INDY FUEL WEEK 1 RESULTS: (1-1-0-0, 1-1-0-0 Overall)
Friday, October 12 - Fuel 1 vs. Fort Wayne 3: The Fuel opened their 2018-19 schedule with a tightly-contested 3-1 loss to the Fort Wayne Komets at Indiana Farmers Coliseum. A late second-period tally from Taylor Crunk broke a 1-1 stalemate in favor of the Komets, before Fort Wayne goaltender Zachary Fucale stymied an Indy comeback attempt in the final frame. Quentin Shore scored the lone tally for the Fuel in the last minute of the first period, while goaltender Matt Tomkins carded a strong 28-save performance in his season debut.
Saturday, October 13 - Fuel vs. Kalamazoo: Eleven different Indy skaters found the scoresheet as the Fuel used a massive second period to earn an 8-4 victory over the Kalamazoo Wings for their first win of the 2018-19 season. Trailing 3-1 early in the middle frame, Indy found the net five times in a 7:18 span to seize a 6-3 lead, before adding two more goals in the third period. Ryan (2g, 1a) and Matt (3a) Rupert led the way offensively for the Fuel, who also received two-point nights from Olivier Labelle (2g), Mathew Thompson (1g, 1a), Kevin Dufour (2a) and Josh Shalla (2a).
INDY FUEL WEEK 2 SCHEDULE:
Friday, October 19 - Fuel vs. Cincinnati (7:35 p.m., Indiana Farmers Coliseum)
PINK IN THE RINK NIGHT presented by Resource Commercial Real Estate: Help Fuel the fight against breast cancer in our fourth annual benefit game for local breast cancer organizations. Tributes will be made to cancer fighters and supporters throughout the night.
It's also a Sun King Brewery Pucks & Pints night, so stop by the Cuervo Bar and sample a wide variety of specialty brews from Sun King and other local breweries.
Saturday, October 20 - Fuel vs. Toledo (7:35 p.m., Indiana Farmers Coliseum)
MILITARY NIGHT presented by Bosma Enterprises: Join the Fuel as they salute the service men and women who keep our country safe everyday. Throughout the night tributes will be made to military personnel for all their hard work and dedication.
-Six of the Fuel's first seven games in 2018-19 take place at Indiana Farmers Coliseum. Last season, Indy tied a franchise record for best home record with a 20-14-2-0.
-Indy's eight goals Saturday against Kalamazoo tied a club record matched on two previous occasions; 8-7 victories over the Quad City Mallards on March 19, 2017 and Feb. 22, 2018.
-The Fuel scored five goals on special teams in Saturday's victory, going 3-for-4 on the power play and adding two shorthanded goals. The last time Indy scored five special teams goals was during an 8-7 win over Quad City on Feb. 22, 2018
-Indy's eight goals Saturday came on just 19 shots on goal, setting a new franchise record with a single-game shooting percentage of 42.1%.
-Forward Olivier Labelle recorded his 500th career professional point with his second goal of the game on Saturday. The 13th year forward has tallied 243 goals and 257 assists across 688 career games in the ECHL, AHL, and overseas in Austria and France.
-Labelle is nine points away from reaching 350 career ECHL points.
-Forwards Ryan (2g, 1a) and Matt (3a) Rupert combined for six points in Saturday's victory.
-Rookie forward Mathew Thompson has recorded at least a point in six of his eight career professional games. Thompson logged two goals and four assists in seven games with the Fuel at the end of the 2017-18 season.
-Rookie forward Connor Moynihan tallied his first professional goal Saturday with his shorthanded marker in the second period.
ECHL Player of the Week Nominee: F Ryan Rupert (2 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 1 GWG, 1 PPG 1 SHG)
ECHL Goaltender of the Week Nominee: G Matt Tomkins (2 GP, 1-1-0, 3.02 GAA, .898 SV%)
UPCOMING EVENTS & PROMOTIONS:
Fuel Zero to 60 Challenge: The Fuel are teaming up with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana (BBBSCI) in presenting the "Zero To 60 Challenge", a joint effort to recruit 60 adult male volunteers in 4 weeks while raising awareness of the importance of mentoring. The campaign begins October 8 and runs through November 4. To get involved, visit bebigforkids.com/volunteer, or contact Rick Belbutoski, Manager of Volunteer Outreach and Engagement, at email@example.com
Indy Fuel 5K Benefitting Girls on the Run of Central Indiana: The Indy Fuel 5K retuns to Witten Park on Fishers on Nov. 10, 2018! All participants will receive a free ticket to an upcoming Fuel home game. Visit IndyFuel5K.org for more information and to register!
Individual tickets for all Fuel home games at Indiana Farmers Coliseum are available at IndyFuelHockey.com, or by visiting the Indiana Farmers Coliseum box office. A variety of Ticket Plans are also still available for the 2018-19 season, call the Fuel ticket office at 317-925-FUEL for learn more today!
Catch every home game this season with a free online stream at IndyFuelHockey.com! Click the "Watch/Listen Live" button to hear Voice of the Fuel Andrew Smith bring you all of the action from Indiana Farmers Coliseum. Fans can also watch all 72 games at home and on the road live through ECHL.TV!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 15, 2018
- Former Maverick McAdam Recalled by Maple Leafs - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - October 15 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Mariners Play Two Home Games as Part of Busy Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, October 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Weekly, October 15th - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Season Underway - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly: Jersey Retirement Highlights Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Trade for F Alex Roos - Reading Royals
- Roos Traded to Reading - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 15 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 1 - Indy Fuel
- This Week in Utah Grizzlies Hockey - Utah Grizzlies
- Boston Sends Two Forwards to Atlanta, Glads Sign One - Atlanta Gladiators
- Komets Home Opener Saturday vs Kalamazoo; Split Season Opening Weekend - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Monday Report: October 15 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 15 - Tulsa Oilers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Fuel Stories
- Indy Fuel to Make Coaching Change for 2019-20 Season
- Fuel Announce 2018-19 Team Award Winners
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets
- Fuel Rally in Comeback Win over the Komets to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive