Knights Beat the Bulls 5-4 on Friday Night
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) - The Charlotte Knights scored three runs in the fourth inning and survived a late-inning rally to beat the Durham Bulls on Friday night by a score of 5-4 from Truist Field in Uptown Charlotte. The win was Charlotte's first of the series against the Bulls.
Much like on Thursday night, the Knights jumped out to a lead early on Friday. Charlotte scored all five runs over the first four innings of the game, including a run in the first and second inning. Center fielder Mikie Mahtook put the Knights on the scoreboard in the first inning on an RBI double. In the second, third baseman Danny Mendick singled home a run.
The Knights then went on to have a big fourth inning. Catcher Seby Zavala hit a solo home run in the fourth, his sixth of the season. Shortstop Zach Remillard and second baseman Marco Hernández had an RBI double. In addition, first baseman Ti'Quan Forbes had a solid day at the plate as he went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
RHP Jimmy Lambert started for the Knights and allowed two runs (one earned) on five hits over 4.2 innings. Reliever Lane Ramsey (1-4, 4.79) earned the win out of the Charlotte bullpen after coming on to hold the Bulls scoreless over 1.1 innings pitched.
The Knights held a 5-2 lead into the ninth inning, but the Bulls battled back against RHP Carl Edwards Jr. to cut the lead to just one, 5-4. Edwards Jr., who allowed two runs on three hits in the ninth, eventually held on to strike out Ryan Boldt to end the game for his second save of the season.
The Knights will continue the series against the Bulls on Saturday night from Truist Field with first pitch set for 7:04 p.m. Knights broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte and www.CharlotteKnights.com. The game will also be televised live on My 12 WMYT starting at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 18, 2021
- Norfolk Routed in Loss to Jacksonville Saturday Night - Norfolk Tides
- Memphis' Late Walks Power Another Comeback - Louisville Bats
- Jumbo Shrimp Hit Seven Doubles to Blast Tides 11-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- IronPigs lose both games in Saturday DH - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Owen Launches Pair of Homers in 9-5 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Another Day, Another Redbirds Comeback Win - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB Takes Two from LHV - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Grand Slam Powers Rochester to 4-2 Victory over Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Saints Put in the Work, But Lose 9-5 - St. Paul Saints
- Hiura, Taylor Lead Sounds Past Gwinnett - Nashville Sounds
- Jake Noll Slams Wings to Saturday Victory - Rochester Red Wings
- Despite Adam Oller's Solid Start, Mets Fall to Woo Sox, 4-0, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- WooSox Crack Two Homers in 4-0 Victory over Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Robson Goes for Four Hits in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (55-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-57) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 18, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- September 18 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 18, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Alumnus Henry Doubles in MLB Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- McBroom Breaks Storm Chasers-Era Single-Season Home Run Record in Extra-Inning Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Hang on in Marathon Game - Iowa Cubs
- Friedl Plates a Pair But Birds Storm Back to Win - Louisville Bats
- Stowers Wins Game for Tides with Walk-Off in Extras - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Beat the Bulls 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Flashback Fridays: Killebrew Excelled in Charlotte
- Flashback Fridays: Kranitz Earns Championship
- Knights Schedule 22 Fireworks Shows in '22, New Home Game Times
- 2022 ACC Baseball Championship All-Session Ticket Books Now on Sale
- Flashback Fridays: 16 Knights Promoted in 2021