WooSox Crack Two Homers in 4-0 Victory over Syracuse
SYRACUSE N.Y. - The Worcester Red Sox (66-51) put up their seventh shutout of the season in a wire-to-wire win over the Syracuse Mets (46-69) on Saturday night, a 4-0 victory at NBT Bank Stadium.
Jeter Downs cracked two home runs over the first three games of the series, and the 23-year-old came to the plate in the second inning with a runner on in a 0-0 game. Downs saw two balls go by and then blasted the third pitch over the left field wall to put the WooSox on top.
That was the only offense Worcester starter Connor Seabold needed-the right-hander allowed five hits over five innings, but kept Syracuse off the scoreboard thanks to five strikeouts. The start was Seabold's first since his Major League debut with Boston on September 11.
The WooSox bullpen picked up the baton after Seabold exited, holding the Mets runless over the final four innings. The first three zeroes came from Yacksel Ríos in the sixth, Colten Brewer in the seventh and Colten Brewer in the eighth.
Tate Matheny added a run in the ninth inning on a swing to right field. The ball landed just below the right field foul pole, and by the time it was tracked down, Matheny reached third on a triple. After the right fielder Khalil Lee mishandled the pickup, Matheny rounded third and scored to extend the lead to 3-0. The hit marked Matheny's first triple with Worcester this season.
Joey Meneses came up three batters later and annihilated a two-strike pitch over the left field wall. The ball banged off the scoreboard, giving Meneses his 15th home run of the season and his ninth in Triple-A.
Making his first appearance since his MLB debut, Kaleb Ort delivered a scoreless ninth to close the game, Worcester's 18th victory in its last 23 games.
The WooSox conclude the series Sunday at 1:05 p.m. against the Syracuse Mets at NBT Bank Stadium. Radio coverage starts live at 6:15 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network. Worcester's Daniel Gossett (5-3, 4.19) is scheduled to face Jesús Reyes (4-9, 5.58).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 18, 2021
- Norfolk Routed in Loss to Jacksonville Saturday Night - Norfolk Tides
- Memphis' Late Walks Power Another Comeback - Louisville Bats
- Jumbo Shrimp Hit Seven Doubles to Blast Tides 11-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- IronPigs lose both games in Saturday DH - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Owen Launches Pair of Homers in 9-5 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Another Day, Another Redbirds Comeback Win - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB Takes Two from LHV - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Grand Slam Powers Rochester to 4-2 Victory over Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Saints Put in the Work, But Lose 9-5 - St. Paul Saints
- Hiura, Taylor Lead Sounds Past Gwinnett - Nashville Sounds
- Jake Noll Slams Wings to Saturday Victory - Rochester Red Wings
- Despite Adam Oller's Solid Start, Mets Fall to Woo Sox, 4-0, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- WooSox Crack Two Homers in 4-0 Victory over Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Robson Goes for Four Hits in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (55-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-57) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 18, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- September 18 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 18, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Alumnus Henry Doubles in MLB Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- McBroom Breaks Storm Chasers-Era Single-Season Home Run Record in Extra-Inning Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Hang on in Marathon Game - Iowa Cubs
- Friedl Plates a Pair But Birds Storm Back to Win - Louisville Bats
- Stowers Wins Game for Tides with Walk-Off in Extras - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Beat the Bulls 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Inaugural "WooSox Foundation Holiday Caravan" to Spread Joy Around Central Massachusetts this Week
- Chad Tracy Named WooSox Manager, Jose David Flores Named Bench Coach for 2022
- Inaugural "WooSox Winter Wonderland" Debuts at Polar Park this Saturday, December 11, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Wepa! WooSox Win Copa de la Diversión
- Minor League Baseball Announces 2021 CommUNITY Champion: WooSox Capture Coveted Award from MiLB