IronPigs lose both games in Saturday DH
September 18, 2021 - International League (IL) - Lehigh Valley IronPigs News Release
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (50-64) dropped both games on Saturday evening as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (66-47) won game one 6-2 and game two 4-1. The RailRiders reclaim the IronRail Series, as they win the season series.
After being suspended on Wednesday due to inclement weather, the Pigs had an early 1-0 lead in game one as T.J. Rivera hit an RBI single against Matt Krook (5-5) in the bottom of the first inning. When the game resumed, Lehigh Valley extended their lead to 2-0 in the bottom of the third inning when Luke Williams hit a sacrifice fly.
Josh Hendrickson (0-1) in making his AAA debut pitched well in his first couple of innings before being removed from the game with one out in the top of the seventh inning. Chris Gittens hit a go-ahead grand slam against Zach McAllister in the top of the seventh inning to take a 4-1 lead. The RailRiders added another run in the top of the eighth inning to take a 5-2 lead as Kyle Holder scored on a balk. Trey Amburgey added more insurance for the RailRiders in the top of the ninth inning as he hit an RBI single against Taylor Guerrieri to make it a 6-2 lead.
Braden Bristo finished out the game for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre as he pitched a scoreless bottom of the ninth inning.
Lehigh Valley's Brady Lail pitched three scoreless innings to start the game as he gave up just one walk and struck out three batters. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's Sean Boyle pitched four scoreless innings. The contest was scoreless through five innings.
Mark Appel (3-5) left the game with the bases loaded and one out in the top of the sixth inning. Tyler Alexander struck out Chris Gittens but then gave up a bases clearing double to Trey Amburgey that saw the RailRiders take a 3-0 lead. Matt Pita followed with an RBI single that scored Amburgey and extended their lead to 4-0.
Jorge Bonifacio hit an RBI double against Domingo German (1-0) in the bottom of the sixth inning to cut the lead to 4-1. That would be the only run the Pigs would score in the game. Nick Nelson earned his first save of the season by pitching a scoreless bottom of the seventh inning.
The Pigs and RailRiders wrap up their season series on Sunday afternoon at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is scheduled for 1:35 p.m.
Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2021 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 18, 2021
- Norfolk Routed in Loss to Jacksonville Saturday Night - Norfolk Tides
- Memphis' Late Walks Power Another Comeback - Louisville Bats
- Jumbo Shrimp Hit Seven Doubles to Blast Tides 11-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- IronPigs lose both games in Saturday DH - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Owen Launches Pair of Homers in 9-5 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Another Day, Another Redbirds Comeback Win - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB Takes Two from LHV - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Grand Slam Powers Rochester to 4-2 Victory over Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Saints Put in the Work, But Lose 9-5 - St. Paul Saints
- Hiura, Taylor Lead Sounds Past Gwinnett - Nashville Sounds
- Jake Noll Slams Wings to Saturday Victory - Rochester Red Wings
- Despite Adam Oller's Solid Start, Mets Fall to Woo Sox, 4-0, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- WooSox Crack Two Homers in 4-0 Victory over Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Robson Goes for Four Hits in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (55-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-57) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 18, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- September 18 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 18, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Alumnus Henry Doubles in MLB Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- McBroom Breaks Storm Chasers-Era Single-Season Home Run Record in Extra-Inning Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Hang on in Marathon Game - Iowa Cubs
- Friedl Plates a Pair But Birds Storm Back to Win - Louisville Bats
- Stowers Wins Game for Tides with Walk-Off in Extras - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Beat the Bulls 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Jake Cave Named International League Player of the Month for May
- IronPigs Rally with Three Runs in the Ninth Inning to Walk-Off RailRiders and Win Series
- IronPigs Survive Late Comeback from RailRiders to Take Series Lead
- Hoagies Roll Over RailRiders to Even Series
- Homers from Jake Cave and John Hicks Power Coquis Over RailRiders