Jumbo Shrimp Hit Seven Doubles to Blast Tides 11-4
NORFOLK, Va. - Joe Dunand homered and the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp lashed a season-best seven doubles Saturday to rout the Norfolk Tides 11-4 at Harbor Park.
All nine Jumbo Shrimp (68-51) in the lineup reached base at least once, with six different hitters recording multi-hit games. The 16 hits registered by Jacksonville were one shy of a season-high, and the Jumbo Shrimp moved to sole possession of second place for the first time since August 17.
Norfolk (48-71) led 3-2 when Brian Miller singled and Connor Justus doubled to begin the fifth inning. Tides reliever Blaine Knights (0-2) then hit Bryson Brigman with a pitch to load the bases. Monte Harrison doubled in a pair to put Jacksonville on front. Two batters later, Dunand lifted a sacrifice fly to make it 5-3.
Justin Twine doubled to jumpstart the sixth inning and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt. A Miller sacrifice fly added another run before Justus singled and moved to third on a wild pitch and error. He scored on another Norfolk error to widen the gap to 7-3.
With the same score in the eighth, Santiago Chavez walked and Miller singled him to third to begin the frame. After Miller stole second and a fly out, Brigman singled in the pair to make it 9-3.
Tyler Nevin homered off Jumbo Shrimp reliever Brandon Leibrandt to lead off the bottom of the eighth, but that was the only blemish on the left-hander's ledger. Leibrandt yielded that lone run on four hits in his four frames to earn the win. He struck out four.
Dunand answered Nevin's homer with a two-run bomb in the ninth to set the final margin at 11-4.
The Jumbo Shrimp initially got on the scoreboard thanks to a two-out rally in the second. Dunand and Deven Marrero each singled before a Twine double brought in Dunand for the game's first run. A Marrero RBI ground out in the fourth put Jacksonville ahead 2-0.
The Tides plated three in the fourth for their only lead of the game. Mason McCoy homered with one out. A two-out error extended the inning for Jahmai Jones, whose two-run shot put Norfolk ahead 3-2.
The Jumbo Shrimp go for a series win in Sunday's 1:05 p.m. contest. RHP Bryan Mitchell (3-1, 4.50 ERA) starts for the Jumbo Shrimp against Tides LHP Ryan Hartman (1-0, 4.22 ERA). Coverage begins at 12:50 p.m. on ESPN 690 AM and www.ESPN690Jax.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 18, 2021
- Norfolk Routed in Loss to Jacksonville Saturday Night - Norfolk Tides
- Memphis' Late Walks Power Another Comeback - Louisville Bats
- Jumbo Shrimp Hit Seven Doubles to Blast Tides 11-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- IronPigs lose both games in Saturday DH - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Owen Launches Pair of Homers in 9-5 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Another Day, Another Redbirds Comeback Win - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB Takes Two from LHV - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Grand Slam Powers Rochester to 4-2 Victory over Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Saints Put in the Work, But Lose 9-5 - St. Paul Saints
- Hiura, Taylor Lead Sounds Past Gwinnett - Nashville Sounds
- Jake Noll Slams Wings to Saturday Victory - Rochester Red Wings
- Despite Adam Oller's Solid Start, Mets Fall to Woo Sox, 4-0, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- WooSox Crack Two Homers in 4-0 Victory over Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Robson Goes for Four Hits in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (55-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-57) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 18, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- September 18 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 18, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Alumnus Henry Doubles in MLB Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- McBroom Breaks Storm Chasers-Era Single-Season Home Run Record in Extra-Inning Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Hang on in Marathon Game - Iowa Cubs
- Friedl Plates a Pair But Birds Storm Back to Win - Louisville Bats
- Stowers Wins Game for Tides with Walk-Off in Extras - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Beat the Bulls 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp Offer Holiday Packs for Gift-Giving Season
- Photos with Santa, Holiday Crafts Headline Very Shrimp Christmas on December 11
- Scampi Open Rescheduled for February 27
- Scampi Open Returns on November 14
- Díaz Named Marlins Triple-A Player of the Year