Kelly and Pinto Go Deep Again, Bulls Fall to Tides 5-3
NORFOLK, Va. - Bulls left fielder Dalton Kelly bashed his third home run in a span of two games and designated hitter Rene Pinto went deep for the second straight game, however Tides designated hitter Kelvin Gutierrez crushed a three-run shot in Norfolk's 5-3 win over Durham on Sunday afternoon at Harbor Park.
Gutierrez smashed his three-run blast in the opening frame to push the Tides ahead 3-0. Kelly and Pinto would then go yard with solo shots in the third to cut the Durham deficit to 3-2. Three innings later, SS Tristan Gray tied the game with an RBI single to right, however Norfolk answered with a two-spot in the seventh to go back in front with a 5-3 advantage they would not relinquish.
Kelly (3-4, R, 2B, HR, RBI) recorded a game-high three hits and has smashed eight home runs since July 1, including three over his last two contests after going deep twice on Saturday evening. He leads the Bulls with 16 longballs this season. Gray (2-4, 2B, RBI) was the only other Bulls batter to post a multi-hit effort.
Tides reliever Fernando Abad (1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 K) earned the victory in support of starter Konner Wade (5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 2 K). Bulls righty Shawn Armstrong (1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB) suffered the defeat.
Following a league-wide off day on Monday, the Bulls are scheduled to return to Durham Bulls Athletic Park starting Tuesday, August 3 to begin a six-game series versus the Memphis Redbirds. First pitch of the series opener that evening is scheduled for 6:35pm. Tickets for that game, as well as all remaining Bulls home games are available and can be purchased at DurhamBulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from August 1, 2021
- Jacksonville Stumbles in Extra-Inning Defeat in Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Gutierrez' First Home Run with Tides Highlights Win over Bulls - Norfolk Tides
- Kelly and Pinto Go Deep Again, Bulls Fall to Tides 5-3 - Durham Bulls
- Season-High 18 Hits Dominates Series Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Early Hole Too Much to Overcome for Saints in 12-5 Loss to Indians - St. Paul Saints
- Chasers Drop Third Straight, Lose Series to Mud Hens - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Mud Hens Move into Tie for First Place with Chasers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Redbirds Drop Series Finale against the Stripers: August 1, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Louisville Shuts out Iowa to Split Series - Iowa Cubs
- O'Brien Paces 4-Hit Shutout, Bats Split Series - Louisville Bats
- WooSox Close Series with Third Straight Win - Worcester Red Sox
- Early Offense by Worcester Dooms Bisons on Sunday 8-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (36-39) at St. Paul Saints (40-36) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Rained Out - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- August 1 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Louisville - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: August 1, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Mets and RailRiders Cancelled on Sunday Because of Rain, Syracuse Wins Series - Syracuse Mets
- Red Wings, IronPigs Postponed Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Bark in the Park, Afforda-Bull Eats, Mini Bat Giveaways, Two Fireworks Shows and Fan Appreciation Highlight Final Bulls Homestand of 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights
- Charlotte Defeats Durham 5-4
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A East League Title with 8-6 Win over Knights