O'Brien Paces 4-Hit Shutout, Bats Split Series
Des Moines, Iowa. - Riley O'Brien worked 5.0 innings of no-hit baseball, while Jose Barrero continued his torrid pace with another multi-hit effort to lead the Louisville Bats to a 2-0 win over the Iowa Cubs on Sunday.
Louisville turned to Reds' rehabber Lucas Sims (1.0ip) as an opener on Sunday before handing the ball to originally-scheduled starter O'Brien. O'Brien set the tone for Louisville with the longest relief outing of the season, recording six strikeouts and one walk while the minimum 15 batters. The right-hander has now pitched five-plus innings in all but one of his last six appearances.
The Bats broke into the scoring column in the sixth, using back-to-back doubles from Mike Moustakas and Barrero to plate their first run of the game. Moustakas is now hitting 3-5 in his latest rehab appearance with Louisville.
Narciso Crook added one more in the seventh to increase the lead to 2-0. TJ Friedl led off the frame with a base-hit and stolen base to place himself in scoring position. With two outs, Crook drove an RBI single to left field to plate Friedl and provide Louisville with some late insurance.
Nick Howard and Dauri Moreta covered the two innings out of the bullpen before Tony Santillan struck out one in the ninth to pick up his first save.
After securing the series split this weekend, the Bats will now enjoy a much-deserved day off before a six-game set with the St. Paul Saints. The starters for Tuesday's opener have yet to be announced.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from August 1, 2021
- Jacksonville Stumbles in Extra-Inning Defeat in Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Gutierrez' First Home Run with Tides Highlights Win over Bulls - Norfolk Tides
- Kelly and Pinto Go Deep Again, Bulls Fall to Tides 5-3 - Durham Bulls
- Season-High 18 Hits Dominates Series Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Early Hole Too Much to Overcome for Saints in 12-5 Loss to Indians - St. Paul Saints
- Chasers Drop Third Straight, Lose Series to Mud Hens - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Mud Hens Move into Tie for First Place with Chasers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Redbirds Drop Series Finale against the Stripers: August 1, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Louisville Shuts out Iowa to Split Series - Iowa Cubs
- O'Brien Paces 4-Hit Shutout, Bats Split Series - Louisville Bats
- WooSox Close Series with Third Straight Win - Worcester Red Sox
- Early Offense by Worcester Dooms Bisons on Sunday 8-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (36-39) at St. Paul Saints (40-36) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Rained Out - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- August 1 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Louisville - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: August 1, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Mets and RailRiders Cancelled on Sunday Because of Rain, Syracuse Wins Series - Syracuse Mets
- Red Wings, IronPigs Postponed Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.