Kaut's OT Heroics Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Win over Reign
LOVELAND, CO. - Colorado forward Martin Kaut buried a wrister from the right-wing circle with 3:02 remaining in sudden-death overtime to give the Eagles a 3-2 victory over the Ontario Reign on Wednesday. Colorado has now won each of its last eight contests and stands victorious in each of its last seven games on home ice. Pavel Francouz earned his 24th win of the season in net, making 32 saves on 34 shots .
Colorado opened the scoring when a 2-on-1 shorthanded rush saw A.J. Greer blast a shot toward Reign goalie Peter Budaj, while forward Dominic Toninato cleaned up the rebound in the crease to put the Eagles on top 1-0 at the 9:15 mark of the first period.
The opening 20 minutes would also see the gloves drop between Eagles forward Kale Kessy and Reign forward Jamie Devane, with each skater receiving five minutes for fighting.
Heading into the second period, Colorado would stretch its lead on the power play when forward Sheldon Dries snapped a shot from the top of the left-wing circle, lighting the lamp and giving the Eagles a 2-0 advantage with 5:03 remaining in the middle frame. Colorado would outshoot Ontario 7-4 in the period and take a 2-0 lead into the second intermission.
The Reign would flip the script in the third period and it would start with a shot from the right circle that would rebound near the goal mouth and be shoved home by forward Zack Mitchell. The tally would trim the Eagles advantage to 2-1 at the 10:20 mark of the period.
Still trailing by a goal late in regulation, Ontario would pull Budaj in favor of the extra attacker and the move would pay dividends when forward Brett Sutter swept a loose puck on top of the crease past Francouz to tie the game at 2-2 with 49 seconds left to play in the contest.
Now moving into sudden-death overtime, each team would generate chances on net, but it would be Kaut who would bring the game to an end when he buried a wrist shot on the rush to give Colorado the 3-2 victory.
The Eagles finished the night going 1-for-5 on the power play and a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles return to action when they travel to San Jose, California to face the San Jose Barracuda on Saturday, March 16th at 2:15pm MT at SAP Center.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2019
- Kaut's OT Heroics Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Laval Rocket Fall 4-2 to Syracuse Crunch - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blank Comets for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Moose in Back and Forth 4-3 Game - Texas Stars
- Hayes Hat Trick Leads Penguins to 4-1 Win at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Froese Scores as Phantoms Fall Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Erupt Late, Bolt Past T-Birds 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Gilmour Provides Heroics in OT Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Rally Past Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Collect Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Shutout in Divisional Battle with Rochester - Utica Comets
- T-Birds Succumb to Bears' Late Run in 5-3 Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blues Recall Jordan Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Wednesday's Colorado Eagles Game to be Played as Scheduled - Colorado Eagles
- Gibson Returned on Loan by Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Former Hobey Baker Finalist Dylan McLaughlin - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Hold Back Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Red Wings Sign Lashoff to Two-Year Contract Extension - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Milwaukee, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Agree to Terms with Gosselin on Two-Way AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Rochester Americans
- First Place Condors Return Home Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Sign Gendron to AHL Deal for 2019-20 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Reign Streak Halted at Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Defeats San Antonio 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Scores Four Unanswered to Win Seventh Straight - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Eagles Sign Four Avalanche Draft Picks to Tryout Agreements
- Eagles Sign Forward Alexandre Fortin to AHL Contract
- Colorado Eagles to Begin 2020-21 AHL Season February 5th
- Colorado Eagles Add Toughness, Scoring with O'Brien
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient