Admirals Hold Back Monsters
Milwaukee, WI - Troy Grosenick stopped 29 shots and the Admirals picked up goals from Laurent Daupin as the hold off the Cleveland Monsters 2-1 in front of over 8,000 students and teachers at Panther Arena for the team's second Baird School Day Game of the season.
The win pulled Milwaukee within a point of the fourth and final playoff spot in the Central Divison currently held by Texas with 67 points. The Ads, who have 12 games to play in the regular season, sit at 66, two up on sixth place Rockford.
For the third time in the past four games the Admirals got on the board within the first six minutes of the contest. This morning that goal came off the stick of Daupin, who tallied potted his 10th goal of the season at the 4:30 mark of the first. Dauphin wrapped around the Cleveland net and was denied on his first attempt, but he kept at it and was able to jam the puck between the post the goalie Brad Thiessen.
The score stayed that way until late in the third period when Eeli Tolvanen scored a highlight reel goal to push the Ads lead to 2-0. With the team clinging to a one-goal lead Tolvanen came into the Cleveland zone 1-on-1. He cut hard to his left while preparing to shoot, but lost his edge and was falling down, however, he was still able to get his shot off and went-five hole on Thiessen.
That goal proved to be the difference maker as Clevland's Zac Dalpe spoiled Grosenick's shoutout bid with 1:38 remaining and the goalie pulled.
Grosenick, who earned his 16th win of the season, and the Ads defense held tight from there preserving the team's 2-1 victory.
The Admirals are now off until Saturday night when they will play host to the Grand Rapids Griffins at 6 pm at Panther Arena. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550, or online at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2019
- Kaut's OT Heroics Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Laval Rocket Fall 4-2 to Syracuse Crunch - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blank Comets for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Moose in Back and Forth 4-3 Game - Texas Stars
- Hayes Hat Trick Leads Penguins to 4-1 Win at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Froese Scores as Phantoms Fall Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Erupt Late, Bolt Past T-Birds 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Gilmour Provides Heroics in OT Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Rally Past Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Collect Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Shutout in Divisional Battle with Rochester - Utica Comets
- T-Birds Succumb to Bears' Late Run in 5-3 Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blues Recall Jordan Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Wednesday's Colorado Eagles Game to be Played as Scheduled - Colorado Eagles
- Gibson Returned on Loan by Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Former Hobey Baker Finalist Dylan McLaughlin - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Hold Back Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Red Wings Sign Lashoff to Two-Year Contract Extension - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Milwaukee, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Agree to Terms with Gosselin on Two-Way AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Rochester Americans
- First Place Condors Return Home Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Sign Gendron to AHL Deal for 2019-20 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Reign Streak Halted at Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Defeats San Antonio 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Scores Four Unanswered to Win Seventh Straight - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.