Hayes Hat Trick Leads Penguins to 4-1 Win at Lehigh Valley
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Jimmy Hayes put forth a hat trick to propel the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to a 4-1 triumph over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Wednesday night at PPL Center.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (29-23-6-3) played a tight defensive game through 40 minutes, then went off for three goals in the third period including two of Hayes' three goals. Tristan Jarry was magnificent in net for the Penguins, holding the Phantoms at bay with 38 saves.
Hayes opened the scoring in the game's early stages, depositing a rebound to the back of the net at 1:57 of the first period.
The Penguins' maintained their 1-0 lead through the second period, thanks in large part to a flurry of saves by Jarry in the last few minutes of the middle frame. Lehigh Valley pushed in a determined attempt to tie the game before the second intermission, but came up empty.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton then went up 2-0 when Ryan Haggerty sniped a shot from the left-side wall 19 seconds into the third period. Hayes later lit the lamp for the second time at 8:47 of the final frame of regulation.
Undeterred, the Phantoms continues to put the pressure on the Penguins, eventually resulting in a fluky goal for Byron Froese. Froese flipped the puck from the goal line to the Penguins' net front, only to see his blind centering feed bounce off of a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton defenseman and behind Jarry midway through the final frame of regulation.
Down by two goals, the Phantoms got aggressive and pulled their goalie for an extra attacker with more than three minutes left in regulation. However, their gamble only opened the door for Hayes to complete the hat trick and seal the game for the Penguins.
Alex Lyon denied 27 shots in defeat for Lehigh Valley.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is on Saturday, Mar. 16, and it will be the team's annual St. Patrick's Day celebration at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza when the black and gold face-off against the Providence Bruins. Puck drop between the Penguins and P-Bruins is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the 20th season of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hockey, including full season, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, begin at just $79.99 for the entire 2018-19 regular season. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2019
- Kaut's OT Heroics Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Laval Rocket Fall 4-2 to Syracuse Crunch - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blank Comets for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Moose in Back and Forth 4-3 Game - Texas Stars
- Hayes Hat Trick Leads Penguins to 4-1 Win at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Froese Scores as Phantoms Fall Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Erupt Late, Bolt Past T-Birds 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Gilmour Provides Heroics in OT Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Rally Past Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Collect Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Shutout in Divisional Battle with Rochester - Utica Comets
- T-Birds Succumb to Bears' Late Run in 5-3 Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blues Recall Jordan Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Wednesday's Colorado Eagles Game to be Played as Scheduled - Colorado Eagles
- Gibson Returned on Loan by Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Former Hobey Baker Finalist Dylan McLaughlin - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Hold Back Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Red Wings Sign Lashoff to Two-Year Contract Extension - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Milwaukee, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Agree to Terms with Gosselin on Two-Way AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Rochester Americans
- First Place Condors Return Home Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Sign Gendron to AHL Deal for 2019-20 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Reign Streak Halted at Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Defeats San Antonio 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Scores Four Unanswered to Win Seventh Straight - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Mid-Week Home Game against Devils
- Ryan Scarfo Recalled by Penguins
- Penguins Drop 5-1 Decision at Hershey
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 4-1