Gibson Returned on Loan by Islanders
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The New York Islanders announced today goaltender Christopher Gibson has been returned on loan to the team's American Hockey League affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
Gibson, 26, has played 33 games with the Sound Tigers this season, going 18-9-1 with a 2.89 goals-against-average, .900 save percentage and one shutout. He has won seven straight decisions dating back to Feb. 5 and currently ranks third in Sound Tigers history in both wins (62) and games played (119). In addition, Gibson has also made two appearances with the Islanders this season, posting a 1.50 goals-against-average and .941 save percentage.
A native of Karkkila, Finland, Gibson played eight games with the Islanders during his fifth pro season in 2017-18 and went 2-3-2 with a 3.65 goals-against-average and .908 save percentage. He earned a 50-save victory against the Calgary Flames on March 11, 2018 and made 36 stops in a 4-1 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins on March 20, 2018.
In addition, Gibson played a team-high 37 games with the Sound Tigers last season. He posted a 19-14-1 record with a 2.42 goals-against-average., .906 save percentage and a career-best four shutouts. His stellar play was rewarded with a selection to the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic.
Gibson has an overall record of 91-57-16 with nine shutouts in 176 career AHL games between the Sound Tigers and Toronto Marlies. In addition, Gibson played four NHL games with the Islanders during the 2015-16 season, including his debut on Jan. 2, 2016 against the Pittsburgh Penguins (in relief). Gibson earned his first NHL start on April 5, 2016 and made 29 saves against the Washington Capitals as the Islanders came back from a 3-1 deficit to win 4-3 in overtime, which clinched a spot in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Prior to turning pro, Gibson spent four seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens. He earned CHL Goaltender of the Week honors on five occasions and was named to the QMJHL First All-Star Team in 2010-11. The 6'1, 187-pound netminder also posted the best save percentage of any QMJHL goalie that season (.920).
Gibson was initially selected by the Los Angeles Kings in the second round (#49 overall) of the 2011 NHL Draft.
Hockey and Hops 2: The Sound Tigers return to Webster Bank Arena on Sunday, Mar. 17 for a 5 p.m. puck drop against the Springfield Thunderbirds. It's "Hockey and Hops 2," featuring another pre-game craft beer tasting event starting at 2:30 p.m. For just $25, get access to the beer tasting, plus a special Sound Tigers tasting glass, a ticket to the game, and a souvenir hockey stick bottle opener. Packages are only available or by calling the Sound Tigers group sales line in advance (203-345-2300 ext. 7).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2019
- Kaut's OT Heroics Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Laval Rocket Fall 4-2 to Syracuse Crunch - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blank Comets for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Moose in Back and Forth 4-3 Game - Texas Stars
- Hayes Hat Trick Leads Penguins to 4-1 Win at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Froese Scores as Phantoms Fall Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Erupt Late, Bolt Past T-Birds 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Gilmour Provides Heroics in OT Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Rally Past Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Collect Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Shutout in Divisional Battle with Rochester - Utica Comets
- T-Birds Succumb to Bears' Late Run in 5-3 Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blues Recall Jordan Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Wednesday's Colorado Eagles Game to be Played as Scheduled - Colorado Eagles
- Gibson Returned on Loan by Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Former Hobey Baker Finalist Dylan McLaughlin - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Hold Back Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Red Wings Sign Lashoff to Two-Year Contract Extension - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Milwaukee, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Agree to Terms with Gosselin on Two-Way AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Rochester Americans
- First Place Condors Return Home Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Sign Gendron to AHL Deal for 2019-20 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Reign Streak Halted at Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Defeats San Antonio 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Scores Four Unanswered to Win Seventh Straight - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.