Laval Rocket Fall 4-2 to Syracuse Crunch
The Crunch- who are in second place in the Northern division- were taken by surprise when the Rocket took an early lead over them just two minutes into the game. Ouellet took advantage of Alexandre Grenier screening Syracuse netminder Eddie Pasquale to net his fourth of the season while the Rocket were on a powerplay due to a Syracuse delay of game penalty. Cal Foote brought the game back to square one for the Crunch with less than five minutes to play in the first however, sending the divisional rivals to their dressing rooms tied at one.
The Rocket penalty killers were tested in the second period by being forced to make three separate appearances and though they succeeded in keeping the game tied in the first two times, the Crunch took a late lead over the Rocket on the third. Taylor Raddysh wristed his 16th of the season by Michael McNiven with less than two minutes remaining in the period after his teammate Ross Colton passed him the puck from behind the net, giving the Rocket a one-goal deficit heading into the third.
Another early goal was added to the scoreboard a little over a minute into the third but this time in favour of the Crunch, who doubled their lead when Gabriel Dumont batted the puck out of mid-air and past McNicven for his 10th of the season. The Rocket brought themselves back to within one with McNiven on the bench however when Vejdemo picked up a loose puck in front of the net for his 12th of the season, but the empty Laval net also allowed the Crunch to re-claim their two-goal lead and lock in the final score of 4-2.
"It's one of the more frustrating games that I've coached because we had a lot of opportunities and we just couldn't capitalize on them," said Joël Bouchard after the game. "When you play a good team like that and you're able to compete for almost the whole 60 minutes, it's a tough loss because we just made a few mistakes and they cost us."
LAV: Ouellet | Vejdemo (Evans, Belzile)
SYR: Foote (Andreoff) | Raddysh (Colton, Stephens) | Dumont | Barré-Boulet (Pasquale)
Goaltenders: LAV: McNiven (17/20) | SYR: Pasquale (30/32)
Rocket Powerplay: 1/5 | Rocket Penalty Kill: 2/3
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2019
- Kaut's OT Heroics Keep Win Streak Alive with 3-2 Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Laval Rocket Fall 4-2 to Syracuse Crunch - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blank Comets for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Moose in Back and Forth 4-3 Game - Texas Stars
- Hayes Hat Trick Leads Penguins to 4-1 Win at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Froese Scores as Phantoms Fall Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Erupt Late, Bolt Past T-Birds 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Gilmour Provides Heroics in OT Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Rally Past Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Collect Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Shutout in Divisional Battle with Rochester - Utica Comets
- T-Birds Succumb to Bears' Late Run in 5-3 Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blues Recall Jordan Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Wednesday's Colorado Eagles Game to be Played as Scheduled - Colorado Eagles
- Gibson Returned on Loan by Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Former Hobey Baker Finalist Dylan McLaughlin - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Hold Back Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Red Wings Sign Lashoff to Two-Year Contract Extension - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Milwaukee, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Agree to Terms with Gosselin on Two-Way AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Rochester Americans
- First Place Condors Return Home Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Sign Gendron to AHL Deal for 2019-20 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Reign Streak Halted at Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Defeats San Antonio 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Scores Four Unanswered to Win Seventh Straight - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Laval Rocket Announce Broadcast Schedule for the 2021-22 Season
- Rocket Announce 2021-22 Season Schedule
- The New Leader: Jean-François Houle
- Jean-François Houle Appointed Head Coach of the Laval Rocket
- Rocket Agree to Terms on a One-Year, Two-Way AHL Contract with Justin Ducharme