Kaczmarski Helps Ponies Get DH Split in Grand Style
PORTLAND, ME - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies (16-10) took four of six against the Portland Sea Dogs (9-18), splitting the second doubleheader of the series on Sunday afternoon at Hadlock Field. The Rumble Ponies fell 4-2 in Game 1 and held off the Sea Dogs 6-5 in Game 2.
Game One - Sea Dogs 4, Rumble Ponies 2
The Rumble Ponies carried a 2-0 lead into the bottom of the sixth, and right-hander Michael Gibbons was cruising, having retired the last ten he faced dating back to the second inning. The Sea Dogs offense exploded though for four runs, capped off by a go-ahead two-run single by Bobby Dalbec. Portland's Jhon Nunez started the inning with a solo home run and Jerry Downs tied the game with an RBI double. Gibbons was taken out after the Dalbec knock, and his 4 runs allowed were the most he has given up all season, as he drops to 3-3 on the year. Sea Dogs lefty Dedgar Jiminez allowed only 2 runs over 6 getting his first win of the season. Binghamton scored their two runs on Sam Haggerty's sacrifice fly to right in the first and Barrett Barnes RBI single in the sixth.
Game Two - Rumble Ponies 6, Sea Dogs 5
Kevin Kaczmarski's go-ahead grand slam in the sixth inning proved the difference in the one-run victory. It is Kaczmarski's second home run of the series, his second of the year, and the only two home runs the Rumble Ponies hit during the six-game set. Binghamton entered the frame trailing 3-2. Sea Dogs reliever Durbin Feltman came in to replace starter Matthew Kent, and promptly issued a leadoff walk to Mike Paez. That was followed by a Patrick Mazeika single followed by a Will Toffey walk. After Braxton Lee struck out, Kaczmarksi took the first pitch he saw and hit it 387 feet over the right centerfield wall.
In the bottom of the seventh, the Sea Dogs plated two runs to pull within one. Down 6-5, Portland had the bases loaded and one out, but Joe Zanghi was able to get Jerry Downs to ground into a double play to end the game.
POSTGAME NOTES:The Rumble Ponies and Sea Dogs have played three doubleheaders this season, all three of which have resulted in splits...Patrick Mazeika with a single in game two extended his season-long hitting streak to eight games...Rumble Ponies have a day off on Monday and open up a three-game series in Harrisburg Tuesday night. All three games from FNB Field begin at 6:30 and can be heard on Newsradio 1290 WNBF as well as on the Binghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn. The Horizon Federal Credit Union Pregame Show begins at 6:15.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 5, 2019
- R-Phils sweep doubleheader from 'Ducks to get to four games over for first time - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Bats Remain Silent in 5-0 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Fightin Phils Complete Doubleheader Sweep over RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Kaczmarski Helps Ponies Get DH Split in Grand Style - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 'Dogs and Ponies Split Twinbill - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Drop Homestand Finale, 7-1, on Sunday Afternoon - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Pinata's Pummel Fantasmas on Cinco de Mayo, Take Series with 5-0 Shutout - Erie SeaWolves
- Yard Goats Win Third Straight Game to Take Series - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Denied Sweep of Squirrels on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Thunder and Senators Postponed Sunday - Trenton Thunder
- Senators and Trenton Thunder Postponed Sunday Afternoon - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 5th vs. Binghamton (DH) - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #25 - Rumble Ponies (15-9) vs. Sea Dogs (8-17) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Wilson's Six Scoreless Innings Lead Rumble Ponies to Series-Opening Win over Fightin Phils
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #97 Rumble Ponies (15-17) at Reading Fightin Phils (20-11) - 7:10PM
- Jason Krizan Named Eastern League Player of the Week
- Gimenez, Cecchini, and Defense Lead Ponies over Ducks
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #96 Rumble Ponies (14-17) at Akron RubberDucks (9-21) - 2:05PM