'Dogs and Ponies Split Twinbill
Portland, Maine - The Sea Dogs (9-18) and Binghamton Rumble Ponies (16-10) split a doubleheader in front of a sellout crowd on Sunday afternoon at Hadlock Field. Portland won game one 4-2, Binghamton took game two 6-5.
GAME 1 RECAP
The Sea Dogs scored four runs in the sixth inning en route to their game one victory.
Trailing 2-0 to begin the inning, Jhon Nunez led off with a solo home run to cut the deficit in half. After a single by Jeremy Rivera and a walk by Marcus Wilson, Jerry Downs doubled off the Maine Monster to score Rivera and tie the game. Two batters later, Bobby Dalbec singled with the bases loaded to give the Sea Dogs a 4-2 lead.
Dedgar Jimenez (W, 1-2) earned the victory with six innings of two-run ball (one earned), the lefty allowed five his while walking two and striking out five. Zach Schellenger (SV, 1) earned his first save with a scoreless ninth with two strikeouts.
Mike Gibbons (L, 3-3) allowed four runs on five hits in 5.1 innings with three walks and four strikeouts.
GAME 2 RECAP
Kevin Kaczmarski hit a grand slam off of Durbin Feltman (L, 0-1) in the sixth inning to plate the winning runs in Binghamton's 6-5 win in game two.
After Feltman loaded the bases with two walks and a single to begin the inning, he fanned Braxton Lee on a 3-2 pitch for the first out. Then Kaczmarski hit the first pitch he saw over the right-center field wall for the game-winning hit.
Binghamton took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first off Matthew Kent, but Kent settled down and did not allow any more runs over five innings overall.
Portland took the lead in the fourth on a bases clearing, three-run double by Luke Tendler off of David Roseboom.
Roseboom (W, 1-0) ended up earning the win in relief of spot starter Austin McGeorge, who allowed two runs in three-plus innings.
Portland rallied in the seventh, loading the bases off of Matt Blackham with one out. Bobby Dalbec grounded in a run and later Joe Zanghi walked Luke Tendler with the bases loaded to make it 6-5. But Zanghi got Jerry Downs to ground into a game-ending 6-3 double play to give Binghamton the victory.
Portland is off on Monday and starts a three-game series on Tuesday night against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays affiliate) at Hadlock Field. Lefty Kyle Hart (1-4, 2.83) makes his sixth start of the season. Radio coverage on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network begins at 5:45 PM. The game is available on the tune-in app and MiLB.TV.
Tickets for Saturday's game can be purchased at 207-879-9500 or seadogs.com. Book your nine inning vacation today!
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 5, 2019
- R-Phils sweep doubleheader from 'Ducks to get to four games over for first time - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Bats Remain Silent in 5-0 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Fightin Phils Complete Doubleheader Sweep over RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Kaczmarski Helps Ponies Get DH Split in Grand Style - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 'Dogs and Ponies Split Twinbill - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Drop Homestand Finale, 7-1, on Sunday Afternoon - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Pinata's Pummel Fantasmas on Cinco de Mayo, Take Series with 5-0 Shutout - Erie SeaWolves
- Yard Goats Win Third Straight Game to Take Series - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Denied Sweep of Squirrels on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Thunder and Senators Postponed Sunday - Trenton Thunder
- Senators and Trenton Thunder Postponed Sunday Afternoon - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 5th vs. Binghamton (DH) - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #25 - Rumble Ponies (15-9) vs. Sea Dogs (8-17) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Sea Dogs Stories
- Red Sox Announce Portland's 2020 Coaching Staff
- Additional Guests Announced for Sea Dogs Hot Stove Dinner
- Santa Arrives at Hadlock Field on Saturday
- Sea Dogs Unveil "Alces" Identity for Copa de la Diversion
- Michael Chavis Headlines 2020 Sea Dogs Hot Stove Dinner