Jenks Joins Komets
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets announced Tuesday that former Toledo Walleye forward A.J. Jenks has agreed to terms and will be on the Fort Wayne roster for 2019-20.
Jenks, 29, has been a foe of the Komets the last five seasons with the Walleye in the ECHL. The Wolverine Lake, Michigan native was on board with Toledo last season in the Kelly Cup finals, scoring playoff career highs of six goals and 12 points in 23 games after scoring 19 goals and 37 points in 47 regular season outings.
"This is another great day in Komet land," Komets general manager David Franke said. "After announcing the return of our Rookie of the Year Jake Kamrass yesterday, we are excited to announce the signing our arch nemesis A.J. Jenks. As a player we have hated playing against, A.J. is now on our side. This should be exciting news for our loyal Komet fans."
Jenks completed a four-year OHL career with Plymouth, finishing with totals of 79 goals, 114 assists, 193 points and 280 penalty minutes in 249 games. He capped his OHL career being named to the All-Star team. During his OHL career, Jenks was selected by Florida in round 4 of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
The veteran made his pro debut in 2010-11 appearing in 63 AHL games with Rochester. The following year Jenks added 52 AHL games between San Antonio and Charlotte while logging 13 ECHL games with Cincinnati. Jenks shared the next two seasons with Charlotte in the AHL and Florida in the ECHL.
"Anytime you add a veteran like A.J. Jenks you give yourself a chance to win on any given night," Komets head coach Ben Boudreau said. "His presence will be a welcomed addition inside the locker room. It's certainly going to add to our rivalry with Toledo."
Jenks first skated with Toledo during 2014-15. He also logged additional AHL games through 2016-17 with Charlotte, Grand Rapids and Iowa. The forward registered a career ECHL year in 2016-17 scoring 27 assists and 46 points in 46 games in his third season with Toledo.
Jenks enters his 10th pro campaign after amassing AHL totals of 20 goals, 28 assists, 48 points and 129 penalty minutes in 190 games and ECHL totals of 113 goals, 113 assists, 226 points, 292 penalty minutes and a +47 in 298 games.
Jenks becomes the 18th player on the Fort Wayne preseason roster to date, including 12 forwards, five defensemen and one goaltender.
Komets to face Nailers in two preseason tilts-- The Komets will face the Wheeling Nailers in two exhibition games. The home-and-home practice series starts Friday, Oct. 4 at Wheeling at 7:05pm ET. The Komets will host the Nailers Saturday, Oct. 5 at 7:35pm ET on Sweetwater Ice at the Memorial Coliseum completing the preseason slate.
68th season opener Oct. 12-- The Komets will open the 68th season of Komet Hockey on Saturday, Oct. 12 when the Kalamazoo Wings visit for a 7:35pm faceoff. See Komets schedule
Season tickets for 2019-20 are on sale now at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way. Single game tickets will go on sale in September. For more information visit Komets.com or call 260-483-0011.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 20, 2019
- Moynihan Brothers Make Move to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Defenseman Blake Thompson Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Lock up 6'3 Goaltender Joel Rumpel - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Indy Fuel
- Rookie Forward Jade McMullen Signs with Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center Enters Long-Term Agreement with Bay State Brewing Company - Worcester Railers HC
- Cyclones Announce Preseason Home-And-Home with Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jenks Joins Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- K-Wings Captain Returns - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rush Introduce New In-Game Team - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Sign 2016 WHL Champion Tyler Coulter - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Inks Pair of Defensemen - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Make Deal with Rush - South Carolina Stingrays
- Verbeek Joins Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Atlanta Team President Recognized with High Honor - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3
- Morrison Reassigned to Komets, McKenzie Returns to Fort Wayne Lineup
- Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday
- Komets Launch 68th Season Saturday; Arich Rival Wings Visit for Opener
- Komets Make Roster Moves